Feedback on selecting a milling machine

84" without the power draw bar, 88" with the PDB sitting on the floor, no risers.

Here is what you need. My drop deck is 14' with a 9000 lb capacity. It allows me to get into real trouble. Forklift is old like me but lifts 7-8K if not too high. It did lift my 6K Rambaudi mill about 4' high and that was scary.

Heights of mills differ. Mine is closer to 8' but the Wells is somewhat less. If you get a serial # you can call Wells and get info on the specific machine. Dave

Attachments

• DSCN3749.JPG
    DSCN3749.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCN3750.JPG
    DSCN3750.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCN3464.JPG
    DSCN3464.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 101
Great score on the machines! Take your time and use some common sense, I'm sure the move will go well!

The best thing you can bring to make things go smoother is someone who’s done it before. Pipe is good and so is a big pry bar for getting the pipes underneath.

Or, rent a long reach forklift to offload. Forklift with a good operator is a joy to behold.

Another option is hiring an experienced wrecker driver with a roll back flatbed.

Just don’t get in a hurry, you move these things with your brain, not your muscles.

John

Thank you all for comments and recommendations.

I will ask the seller if he knows someone that can move it to my house…

If not, I will drop by the other house to get the straps, puller… and buy a big pry bar… rent the trailer and get my brother to help out. That will mean moving it on the 23rd…

I wish I were closer - I'd help you move it, but only after I tried to scoop the deal out from under you with a higher bid. ROFLMAO. That Wells-Index mill is a terrific machine - hope the ways aren't all worn. You should expect to put in some time, not only cleaning it up, but checking things and making a few adjustments. If I can help, sing out. Keep us posted. Here in Portland OR, a rigging crew of 3 to load, drive it 50 miles, unload and position it in the shop would be about $1,500.

Oh, and I forgot something. You're going to need the attached. Merry Christmas.

Attachments

• Machine Tooling Get Started List November82021.pdf
    167.6 KB · Views: 95
I wish I were closer - I'd help you move it, but only after I tried to scoop the deal out from under you with a higher bid. ROFLMAO. That Wells-Index mill is a terrific machine - hope the ways aren't all worn. You should expect to put in some time, not only cleaning it up, but checking things and making a few adjustments. If I can help, sing out. Keep us posted. Here in Portland OR, a rigging crew of 3 to load, drive it 50 miles, unload and position it in the shop would be about $1,500.

Those are inspiring words. I am going to get it and bring it home today before you get on a plane. Buaaaaahhahahahahaha :D

Loading the mill on the trailer is the easy part... figure I will bring the mill first hehehehe... No help needed for that since the seller will do that for me. I have the pallet jack, and a 2 Ton engine/shop crane to help me unload at home. I will leave it on the pallet until I sort out the VFD setup...

Then I can pickup the lathe on the 23rd...

Oh, and I forgot something. You're going to need the attached. Merry Christmas.
Thank you for the list. Going over what I have and what I will need to get. This helps a lot.

Back