Filing machine drawing question

May I ask how, in this drawing, the cam secures to the 1/2 inch shaft? I have made the cam, shaft, set screw collar, bottom block and counter weight. What is to stop the cam from coming off the end of the shaft, according to the drawing? What am I missing? Press fit? (Tolerance not tight enough.) BTW the drawing is from an old PM do-it-yourself mag, 1955. :)

View attachment 421696
I’m curious if you are happy with it all when you are done. I might make one of these too! I’ve been wanting one for a long time.

I’m curious if you are happy with it all when you are done. I might make one of these too! I’ve been wanting one for a long time.
Still a work in progress. I learned this week to offset in a four jaw on my lathe to produce the eccentric/cam and it came out great. It's all together frame wise. The plans call for a direct hook up to the motor but that spins at 1750 RPM so I thought maybe a pulley system may be best to slow it down. I'll post pictures when finished. Another slight problem is locating files that are truly square vertically. They are rare these days. Almost all are tapered.

Back