Glad to be here on Fathers Day. Cheated death by inches a week ago.

Wow! I'm glad you survived that ordeal.

This hazard in the woods is something I call widowmakers. Birch trees and poplar trees too can have
dead branches or dead tops that break off at the least provocation. It's best to study the tree carefully
as to how it may be leaning and also to look for dead tops. This is especially true if the tree is in the woods and
the top catches on another tree branch when felling the tree.

While I'm at it, another hazard is saplings bent over after a tree is felled. They can release a lot of stored
energy. Working as a lumberjack is listed at the top of the most dangerous professions list. A hard hat
is helpful but won't save you from a falling branch coming down at 32 feet/second/second.

You can't be too careful in the woods...

Edit: Rereading your post again, the wind was the culprit. I'm not much on rules but staying out of the woods on
a windy day would be a good one. In a stand of big trees, just think of the kinetic energy overhead.
Also, I have heard large branches falling in perfectly calm conditions and am at a loss to explain that one.

Last edited:
Wow! I'm glad you survived that ordeal.

This hazard in the woods is something I call widowmakers. Birch trees and poplar trees too can have
dead branches or dead tops that break off at the least provocation. It's best to study the tree carefully
as to how it may be leaning and also to look for dead tops. This is especially true if the tree is in the woods and
the top catches on another tree branch when felling the tree.

You can't be too careful in the woods...

True. Very true. We have a number of them on our property including a large widowmaker along the driveway. This was such a random, shocking incident that the tree that fell on me was maybe 15 or 20 feet behind me. It had no branches but was windy enough that it decided to break in half and try and kill me.
We have had numerous tornadoes come through here over the last two years and there are tons of trees that are hung up on each other. Those I can deal with becuase they are somewhat of a know entity. This bugger was just a random killer waiting in broad daylight.

You are right, can't be too careful out there. Not tree cutting for me for quite a while.

Edit: I am leaving this post as is because it shows that my grammer and sentences don't really come together yet...

Last edited:
Stay safe, get well. I'm glad you HAVE a road to recovery, in my 40 years with 911 EMS, I've had 2 that had no road due to trees....It's not a happy father's day, but it is a good fathers day. :encourage:

Wow , what a story but glad to hear you are still with us .

I had a similar event a few years back while up at camp in the Adirondacks . The previous year I had cut a tree that got lodged into another tree . I tried to fall it with the Kubota but couldn't budge it . I left it there hoping that the winter weather would bring it down , but it was still there the following spring . So , I started cutting the tree that was holding up the already cut tree and wouldn't you know it , that tree snapped about half way up . This just clipped the back of my head and back but scared the bejesus out of me . I always wear eye and foot protection but didn't have a helmet on so this could've ended up much worse . To this day , I don't use a chain saw up there if I am alone . Either my wife or my buddy Ed must be present as we are 30 or so miles away from the nearest hospital .

I wish you a speedy recovery and your new place sounds like a dream site . :)

Wow , what a story but glad to hear you are still with us .

I had a similar event a few years back while up at camp in the Adirondacks . The previous year I had cut a tree that got lodged into another tree . I tried to fall it with the Kubota but couldn't budge it . I left it there hoping that the winter weather would bring it down , but it was still there the following spring . So , I started cutting the tree that was holding up the already cut tree and wouldn't you know it , that tree snapped about half way up . This just clipped the back of my head and back but scared the bejesus out of me . I always wear eye and foot protection but didn't have a helmet on so this could've ended up much worse . To this day , I don't use a chain saw up there if I am alone . Either my wife or my buddy Ed must be present as we are 30 or so miles away from the nearest hospital .

I wish you a speedy recovery and your new place sounds like a dream site . :)

Wow. Yes, you too are very lucky. Glad that you too are here with us. Excellent decision also to have someone around. I am now in the same camp regarding having someone around!
Oh, I have a Kubota too!

I'm also glad you made it through that. believe it or not your story will make everyone who reads it Think, before working or felling trees. No matter how many times you go out there you will think of some of the things that can go South quickly. It's good to think.. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Don

My goodness. You are a lucky man!
Thank goodness for safety gear and quick response from the First Responders.
Rest up man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

holy cow, you must have something/ someone lucky looking out for you. Glad you made it and hope that you're starting to recover. Concussion is no small beer that's for sure, take it easy for a good few months.

As for the tree, chop it into little pieces and burn it in a fire in front of all the other trees to teach them a lesson!

Back