Glad to be here on Fathers Day. Cheated death by inches a week ago.

I'm also glad you made it through that. believe it or not your story will make everyone who reads it Think, before working or felling trees. No matter how many times you go out there you will think of some of the things that can go South quickly. It's good to think.. Thanks for sharing your story with us.
Don

Thank you Don. One of the nurses at the hospital was just floored that this happened. She is a very outdoors'y person and she told me straight up that she had never thought about trees falling, especially on windy days. She did a lot of hiking and said that was going to have a new found awareness regarding her surroundings. Also, many of the nurses had never heard of a logging helmet, so they were quite interested in that too.
Hopefully I can help one person from getting hurt in the future, or at least be more aware of what can happen.

I have never heard of a logging helmet myself . I always have cycle helmets on hand , but never even considered wearing one while cutting . Perhaps I will going forward .

I have never heard of a logging helmet myself . I always have cycle helmets on hand , but never even considered wearing one while cutting . Perhaps I will going forward .

Here is the one I have. Stihl Basic Helmet
I am surprised by the poor reviews. I have had none of the issues that the reviewers have had. The one review said the earmuff mount was broke or something... I wonder if they know it snaps into the helmet. Mine came out too, but only after it was clubbed by a tree falling from 25 feet, LOL.

I also wear chainsaw chaps. Because of my previous 3 low back surgeries I have gotten weaker over the years and I felt the control of my chainsaw as not as optimum as I would like, hence the chaps.

If you want a really nice helmet, apparently this one, according to the forums, is the holy grail of comfort and protection....Protos Integral Forest Helmet

Look now, you have Nurses and Machinists thinking already. WIN ,WIN !! You have accomplished your goal. And it will go on from here. Thanks again.

Wow. That was too close, way too close.
Speedy recovery, and good positive results from the tests coming up.

Back