Going to try to rebuild my 10L

ed0849

Registered
Registered
I am going to finally try to rebuild my South Bend 10L built in 1942 and sitting in my basement for about 40 years. It seems to be in pretty good shape but I am not sure about the ways up near the headstock there is no ridge on the ways that I can see. I bought the rebuild book and felt set off ebay. It has a 5C collet setup and the production type tail-stock. Wish me luck:bitingnails:.

SB 009.jpg

IMG_1321.JPG

IMG_0829.jpg
I think this tag is the neatest part of my lathe.

SB 009.jpg IMG_1321.JPG IMG_0829.jpg

I'll be watching for this. When do you pan on getting started?

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like you have an extended travel tail stock? Mine is 2", and I often wish I had another inch of travel, but then I guess some degree of accuracy might be lost at that distance?? Dunno. Anyhow - good luck! Looks like a nice SB.

This should be fun for you. Take your time and just enjoy the process. Mine took me 6 months of evenings after work to complete and I am so glad I did it. I too will be following.

Another 10L owner who will be following your progress. I also did a rebuild and was very happy with the results. Good luck! Oh, mine is also a 1942.

Paul

I have a 49 I rebuilt and a 43 I used for parts. Have a bunch of stuff leftover. Will be following along as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Recently tore down, cleaned, painted, and replaced a few things on my not long ago acquired 1957 10L. Hopefully I'll get a few pictures posted soon....

Back