GPS Rant

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I carry a state atlas in my vehicle at all times. It shows every road and cow path in the state and will get me back to civilization if needed. I haven't had to look at it in twenty years. Before I undertake any journey into the unknown, I always plan a route before I leave. I have had a GPS in the vehicle for fifteen years and a handheld GPS for twenty but I tend to ignore the GPS when driving as my planned route is usually better.

Nowadays, when I'm on my boat, I have three GPS units, one in my trolling motor, one in my sonar/chart, and one in my phone. Afar cry from when I used to carry a lake map.

I carry a state atlas in my vehicle at all times. It shows every road and cow path in the state and will get me back to civilization if needed. I haven't had to look at it in twenty years. Before I undertake any journey into the unknown, I always plan a route before I leave. I have had a GPS in the vehicle for fifteen years and a handheld GPS for twenty but I tend to ignore the GPS when driving as my planned route is usually better.

Nowadays, when I'm on my boat, I have three GPS units, one in my trolling motor, one in my sonar/chart, and one in my phone. Afar cry from when I used to carry a lake map.
One of my all time favorite movies quotes came from the "Mountain Men" With Charlton Heston and Brian Keith when Heston's character accuses Keith's of being lost and Keith's character says, "I ain't never been lost, just a might miss-placed fer a day or two".

I was headed to south west Chicago from NJ, my GPS had me get off the highway, go 5 miles north, make a left, go 2 miles west, make a left, go 5 miles south, make a left, go 2 miles east, get back on the highway... I kid you NOT...

I went to a garage sale about 25 minutes from here, but wanted to go to a friends house afterwards. Punched it in, it told me it would take me 1 hour 45 to get there ... about 5 minutes away. It had me and my wife with me going to NYC and back... Of course I ignored it and found my own way. We just weren't sure how to get out of where we were and to the crossing of the highway (2 lane road not really a highway). We made it in about 6 minutes. Sometimes GPS really bites... In the case of Chicago, I did not realize that it had made the mistake until I saw it taking me south again, I have followed it blindly.. no longer.

I was headed to south west Chicago from NJ, my GPS had me get off the highway, go 5 miles north, make a left, go 2 miles west, make a left, go 5 miles south, make a left, go 2 miles east, get back on the highway... I kid you NOT...

I went to a garage sale about 25 minutes from here, but wanted to go to a friends house afterwards. Punched it in, it told me it would take me 1 hour 45 to get there ... about 5 minutes away. It had me and my wife with me going to NYC and back... Of course I ignored it and found my own way. We just weren't sure how to get out of where we were and to the crossing of the highway (2 lane road not really a highway). We made it in about 6 minutes. Sometimes GPS really bites... In the case of Chicago, I did not realize that it had made the mistake until I saw it taking me south again, I have followed it blindly.. no longer.
I consider the GPS advisory only. I call "her" the bimbo that lives in my car. Her most common communication is"when possible make a legal u turn". It is useful for identifying cross roads as I drive.

Been given bad information to many times to trust it. If I do put in a address it's to get a overview of the area.

Watch some YouTube videos of off road channels and see how many people get in bad places because of it. Not sure why they keep going after a certain point???

Been given bad information to many times to trust it. If I do put in a address it's to get a overview of the area.

Watch some YouTube videos of off road channels and see how many people get in bad places because of it. Not sure why they keep going after a certain point???

Simple answer...

Some people believe technology is infallible, can never be anything but correct and refuse to believe that they need to use their own brain.

It is like they have been brainwashed with a "you are now stupid and can not think for yourself" mentality.

I remember the time that it really got me in hot water. I had 3 kids in my car, about 4:30am we were going to the skating rink for a competition. And the GPS takes me to a way that is not a road, it' has a steel road divider .. It's pitch black, and I try navigating back to where I started. 3 kids screaming at me that they are going to miss warmups. The GPS is of no use to get me out, of there, and some of the roads it had taken me down are one way. I am really having a tough time getting out of that mess. Speed skating starts at 5am and we get there just in time, they are able to take a couple of laps... I am persona non grata after that.

I remember the time that it really got me in hot water. I had 3 kids in my car, about 4:30am we were going to the skating rink for a competition. And the GPS takes me to a way that is not a road, it' has a steel road divider .. It's pitch black, and I try navigating back to where I started. 3 kids screaming at me that they are going to miss warmups. The GPS is of no use to get me out, of there, and some of the roads it had taken me down are one way. I am really having a tough time getting out of that mess. Speed skating starts at 5am and we get there just in time, they are able to take a couple of laps... I am persona non grata after that.
I would laugh if it weren't so pathetic.

I have been watching this You Tube channel https://www.youtube.com/@MentourPilot which deals largely with an analysis of commercial aircraft accidents. As inconvenient as it is for your GPS to let you down, when instrumentation fails at 30,000 ft. it can be, and sometimes is, a real disaster.

I would laugh if it weren't so pathetic.

I have been watching this You Tube channel https://www.youtube.com/@MentourPilot which deals largely with an analysis of commercial aircraft accidents. As inconvenient as it is for your GPS to let you down, when instrumentation fails at 30,000 ft. it can be, and sometimes is, a real disaster.
I occassionaly watch him too. He does deal with private too. He dealt with that bimbo that was a youtuber who got her father and herself killed. She was destined to crash.

Back