Greg's Logan 820 Restoration

Dang;

Color choice? I was not quite in time. Benjamin Moore Baby Seal Grey 2119-30. Very very close to the original and exceptionally attractive color. I am in the process of restoring a 1942 Model 200, and that was one of the first things I researched. The first pic is under my nameplate. The second is that nameplate with the Benjamin Moore color Photoshopped into the background. The originals can vary widely from life circumstance, but the BM color is pretty close. I've painted some pieces and it is VERY handsome.

Not too late...

LoganColor1.jpg LoganBadge2.jpg

Redlineman,

Thanks for the info and pictures. Yes, I've seen several mentions of the Baby Seal Gray in various forums. But I don't have spray gun capabilities and while that might be nice, it's not currently in the cards.
By the way, my model 820 does not have a label plate, as shown in your photo. There's no sign of one having been on my machine and I don't see it in Logan Parts List or on the Logan website.

Greg

Greg, It looks like your moving right along with your restoration. The worn shafts in the apron are pretty common. Same thing with the shaft the gear change handles ride on in the quick change box. Also the countershaft in the drive assembly. They seem to be areas that are neglected by a lot of users. If I ever found one with oil in the apron when I bought it I would feel like I won the lottery.:)) I have been keeping my eyes open for another 820. It's one of my favorite lathes. I'm sure one will show up one of these days. Your going to like yours when you get it going. Keep the pics coming.

Chuck

Greg:

I'm currently in the process of painting some parts with that Baby Seal Gray paint. It really covers nice and goes a long way.

I'm also brushing the paint on, and I'm not so sure it needs primer if going onto clean bare metal. The reason I'm bringing this up is that I was using some sort of high solids primer (zinc, I'm guessing), and I wish I would have thinned it some, as the shiny paint really shows the brush marks in the primer. I painted the tailstock wrench without primer, and it looked a lot better than the primed parts. If you choose to prime, you might want to rattle can prime, and go for a couple of lite coats before a brush on top coat.

By the way - nice lathe.

TomKro

Tomkro, I'm with you on the primer. I've done it several ways. I've sprayed both the primer and topcoat....by far the best looking if you want to go all the way. I've brushed on universal and epoxy primers and then brushed on topcoat....I had a lot of brush marks. I've brushed just 2 or 3 coats of rustoleum...I've had pretty good results with that. The cast parts look great. The big sheet metal parts have some brush marks, but thinning the paint reduces them a lot. I would rather just clean an old machine and leave the weathered paint but usually when I get them they have clown colors on them.

Chuck

Hey;

Who's spraying? Too much time, effort, material, and mess for no gain on a rough cob like cast iron. I'm brushing! That old time Alkyd Enamel flows like lava. I brush it on the bare casting with whatever brush I have handy. I then take a roller and even it out, almost like stippling with a brush end. It then settles and flows out to a perfect even finish. It really works superbly. If you want to go the extra mile, you can get a hardener for Alkyd. Benjamin Moore does not offer one, but I'm betting most other Alkyd hardeners would work. I don't think anyone could tell how it was applied, one way or the other!

Looking good. Do you have the carriage apron togther yet? If not could you post a picture of the carriage lock. I need to make one for my Logan.

Hi Richz

No I don't have the apron back together yet. I have a question for y'all: I've seen some mentions of using some sealant, e.g. silicone gasket maker, on the mating surfaces of the two apron halves. I assume that at least some of the oil leaking from the apron while it is just sitting idle is from that joint. I would think that if it should have had a gasket there, Logan would have had one there. Your thoughts?

On the carriage lock (aka saddle lock), as I've said earlier, my machine was missing it when I bought it. I've looked at a few on eBay, but I plan to make my own. I've made measurements and a rough drawing of my planned lock plate. I will probably make it over the weekend. and will post some details. Meanwhile, I'd appreciate it if somebody could tell us the rough measurements of the bolt. I'm thinking a 5/16xNC18 bolt with a square head. (Machinery's Handbook specifies a 1/2" square head for 5/16" bolts, but that seems rather too large. Maybe a 3/8" square is better?)

Greg

Hi Richz

No I don't have the apron back together yet. I have a question for y'all: I've seen some mentions of using some sealant, e.g. silicone gasket maker, on the mating surfaces of the two apron halves. I assume that at least some of the oil leaking from the apron while it is just sitting idle is from that joint. I would think that if it should have had a gasket there, Logan would have had one there. Your thoughts?

On the carriage lock (aka saddle lock), as I've said earlier, my machine was missing it when I bought it. I've looked at a few on eBay, but I plan to make my own. I've made measurements and a rough drawing of my planned lock plate. I will probably make it over the weekend. and will post some details. Meanwhile, I'd appreciate it if somebody could tell us the rough measurements of the bolt. I'm thinking a 5/16xNC18 bolt with a square head. (Machinery's Handbook specifies a 1/2" square head for 5/16" bolts, but that seems rather too large. Maybe a 3/8" square is better?)

Greg

Just run a bead of silicone between the halves. I've done that and never seen a leak.

Chuck

I just found this, nice work so far! Keep the pics coming as I will enjoy following your work on this lathe. Nice to watch others projects come together. I just brush the paint on the bare cast metal, 2 coats seem to work well. If I rattle can spray the bigger parts like the legs and pan and such then I use a primer first. If your parts breakdown doesn't show a gasket for the apron then clean it well with a rag and brake clean and use automotive silicone gasket material.

Back