Gunsmithing FFL

This is sure not true!

Sorry, but no. Anyone can work on anyone else's gun without a license of any kind, as long as they don't do it for profit.

Thanks for the extra info guys. Forgot to check back for a few days. :)

Bill

This is sure not true!

Sorry, but no. Anyone can work on anyone else's gun without a license of any kind, as long as they don't do it for profit.

As long as you aren't doing it for profit, anyone can work on anyone else's gun, as long as the work is legal. If you think that is not true, I'd like to see some proof. FWIW, if anyone want's to discuss this, I will be happy to provide my ATF investigator's #.

Im kinda new to the site, posted one message and got busy doing work stuff, I restore military equipment, and as a conversation piece I am attaching a photo of my current project to see if anyone has ever restored
a rear sight for a BMG 50 cal heavy machine gun, I actually broke one when adjusting elevation, I think it was just rusty in the frame bore and went south.

The thing looks like a micro acme thread but spiral, I have never seen one of these taken apart? If any one has any idea as to what TPI it is please let me know.

DSCN2510.JPG
And yes, this Quad mount 50 is fully functional as the day it rolled out of the factory, all guns fire, the turret elevates, tracks, traverses and fires 2,400 rounds per minute!

DSCN2510.JPG

Im kinda new to the site, posted one message and got busy doing work stuff, I restore military equipment, and as a conversation piece I am attaching a photo of my current project to see if anyone has ever restored
a rear sight for a BMG 50 cal heavy machine gun, I actually broke one when adjusting elevation, I think it was just rusty in the frame bore and went south.

The thing looks like a micro acme thread but spiral, I have never seen one of these taken apart? If any one has any idea as to what TPI it is please let me know.

View attachment 78328
And yes, this Quad mount 50 is fully functional as the day it rolled out of the factory, all guns fire, the turret elevates, tracks, traverses and fires 2,400 rounds per minute!

I REALLY need one of those for my front porch! :drool: (The wife says I'm kind of anti-social, go figure. :rolleyes:) Makes my Barretts look kind of "inadequate".

I've no first hand knowledge of the kind of thread you are looking for. Is it possible to take a couple of close-ups of the broken part(s) in question and post them? That would really help the more knowledgeable guys on here to identify it.

Do you do this kind of restore for a business, museum, or private concerns? Looks like time well spent.

Thanks for posting it.

-Ron

As long as you aren't doing it for profit, anyone can work on anyone else's gun, as long as the work is legal. If you think that is not true, I'd like to see some proof. FWIW, if anyone want's to discuss this, I will be happy to provide my ATF investigator's #.

I will say again that you are wrong. Somebody stated before that if he makes in writing and signs it, you may not get in trouble. I can work on your weapon as long as you are in my shop and it doesn't sleep over. It makes no difference if you are charging or not. I know you quoted heresy from an ATF person, but I would like to see it stated in the rulebook.

I will say again that you are wrong. Somebody stated before that if he makes in writing and signs it, you may not get in trouble. I can work on your weapon as long as you are in my shop and it doesn't sleep over. It makes no difference if you are charging or not. I know you quoted heresy from an ATF person, but I would like to see it stated in the rulebook.
The ATF website is apparently down at the moment, but the instruction form for the application 7 (5310.12) states (3c) that a license under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44 is a business license. Question 18 on the FFL application plainly states "Do You Intend to Make a Profit from Your Business?" The choices are Yes and No with a note beside No stating "If no, do not submit application). The reason for this is, if you are NOT engaged in working on firearms as a business, ie: making a profit, you do not need an FFL. U.S. citizens have been working on their friend's and family's guns for generations without government control, the only complication comes from the whole "commerce" issue.

As stupid as our government is at times, they know better than to try to require $200 and several weeks of time for an FBI background check, for ole Jim Bob to swap sights on his brother's 1911 for free, no matter how long it takes because it's a transaction between private citizens.
th_IMG_20140608_233637_042_zps0xvegvae.jpg

I'm not trying to be a smart axe, but I researched this pretty extensively because I'm a cheap sob and really didn't want to spend all of the time and money to become a full-blown licensee (I mainly wanted to do basic repairs, but was told that if I was going to be keeping guns overnight and making a profit, i HAD to have a FFL). I talked to several people at the main ATF office in Va. and finally bit the bullet and applied, and myatf investigator told me the exact same thing.

Last edited:
I restore Military equipment for those unfortunate souls that lack the resolve and necessary skills, but have boatloads of cash to invest in these living machines which I am fortunate
enought to be chosen to work on, and bring back to life once again.

Which means, I love the work, and get paid for it, I am truly blessed!

I have also completed a "Grasshopper" 57 mm cannon, and have reproduced brass casings and projectiles for both the 57, and the 75 hi-velocity cannon on our m-18 tank.

home 008.JPG you can see the tank in action on utube under "Triggers" or the "Big Sandy shoot", the tanks name is "Avenging Angel"
home 007.JPG20130224_095922.jpg

home 008.JPG home 007.JPG 20130224_095922.jpg

As a gunsmith, I can even sell a customer all of the parts to build an AR-15 and then assemble all of the parts without a manufacturer's license, BUT, I can't buy all of the parts, assemble them, and THEN sell the completed weapon.

Thus is not true. You can assemble all of the parts but only if the receiver was purchased elsewhere with an 01...hence gunsmithing or modifications to firearm. If you sell them the receiver too you can't assemble it without an 07. That constitutes manufacturing. It gets confusing sometimes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Back