Hardinge Chucker Spindle Question

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I hope this makes sense. I have a chucker headstock with a 5C collet taper and threaded nose.

I want to have the option of bar feeding on this. This means an air collet on the back of the headstock (Dunham Tool) or something similar up on the nose.

A third option is to put a cylinder on the lever arm. I'm open to any and all options really, but the point is that I want this to happen automatically.

As I'm looking around the interwebs, I'm realizing I don't really think there is a good option for a nose mounted air collet for the style of spindle nose I have. As I continue looking, I realize I don't know what the industry standard name is for my spindle type. I see A5, A6, D1, D2, etc. (I'm sure I'm getting all of that wrong) but I don't know if mine is one of those or something else. I suspect something else, so I feel like I'm wasting time for something I'm unfamiliar with.

Hardinge experts, the question I have is: does the design allow for an air collet closer on the spindle nose with the style of spindle I have? If so, how is the spindle nose locked and clocked with the collet closer for reverse rotation? Or is the clamping pressure enough to do that? And if I'm correct in all of that, what do you call this spindle type?

Hey Bryan , so you're hooking up a rear feed bar pusher ?

Iam no expert. Hardinge had two chuck mounting types. The first is just called a Hardinge taper. They also had a threaded mount that is the same type of spindle nose common to many lathes. Would think that the air operated 5C draw bar is the easiest way to go.

Yes , the Hardinges had the taper locks and threaded spindles like on the indexers . I'm trying to figure out what he is doing . A bar pusher and air draw bar for the collets or chucks ? My cnc's had a system that pulled the liner back which tightened up the collets and chucks . Not sure if this would be an easy job , but worth considering .

Hey Bryan , so you're hooking up a rear feed bar pusher ?
Yes, that would be step two once I figure out the air collet closer. My understanding/assumption is a bar pusher/feeder can work with either a rear or nose mount collet closer.
Iam no expert. Hardinge had two chuck mounting types. The first is just called a Hardinge taper. They also had a threaded mount that is the same type of spindle nose common to many lathes. Would think that the air operated 5C draw bar is the easiest way to go.
I have the threaded type. Is there a trade name or conventional name of that? Similar to the A or D style conventions?
Yes , the Hardinges had the taper locks and threaded spindles like on the indexers . I'm trying to figure out what he is doing . A bar pusher and air draw bar for the collets or chucks ? My cnc's had a system that pulled the liner back which tightened up the collets and chucks . Not sure if this would be an easy job , but worth considering .
A spindle liner is necessary regardless of the rear or nose mount. Not an easy job, yes, worth considering!

I have a crap load of Hardinge info here . I'll go thru it to see any information on them . I guess you don't have a turret being a chucker ? They have bar pullers that could be used on the nose end . It would be a project but fun none the less . :encourage:

I have a crap load of Hardinge info here . I'll go thru it to see any information on them . I guess you don't have a turret being a chucker ? They have bar pullers that could be used on the nose end . It would be a project but fun none the less . :encourage:
The machine I scavenged the bed and headstock from had an 8 position turret but I didn't get those parts. I'm using the headstock and bed, combining it with an Omniturn XY stage and turning it into a CNC lathe with Centroid control. A real Northeast frankenstein to be sure.

So . looking at the book , they made a power collet closer for the chuckers .

...and the item number is?????

I'm glad I'm not drowning here! :laughing:

Power closer . I'll try to find some #s .

Attachments

• IMG_9636.JPG
    IMG_9636.JPG
    391.9 KB · Views: 16
Back