IMG_9637.JPG
    398.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9638.JPG
    IMG_9638.JPG
    496.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9639.JPG
    IMG_9639.JPG
    385 KB · Views: 11
Hardinge calls this type of spindle a Hardinge taper nose spindle. It uses a pin in the chuck that fits in the grove of the spindle to lock it on. The chuck can be locked on for forward turning or reverse turning. I haven’t ever had the chuck come loose but it looks like you wouldn’t want to turn in reverse with out resetting the chuck. Using the 5C collets in the spindle eliminates that problem.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 4
Hardinge calls this type of spindle a Hardinge taper nose spindle. It uses a pin in the chuck that fits in the grove of the spindle to lock it on. The chuck can be locked on for forward turning or reverse turning. I haven’t ever had the chuck come loose but it looks like you wouldn’t want to turn in reverse with out resetting the chuck. Using the 5C collets in the spindle eliminates that problem.
Thanks for the photo and explanation. Now I know why the slot is T-shaped!

I do not have that style. Mine is threaded with presumably no means to lock the workholding device in place for forward/reversing.

They made chairs!? :oops:
:grin: I ran Hardinges for years , always on a shop stool . :encourage: If you could use any of these chucker books with all the pics and numbers in them , they are here . I have a DSM-59 here and am looking at a HLV-H down the road . No need for the chucker stuff .

The threaded hardinge spindle nose is simply called by the thread specs, like a 1-1/2"-8tpi. I can't remember what it is for yours, something like 2-1/4"-6tpi I think, but easy enough for you to check

Thread is 2 3/16-10 .

Attachments

• IMG_9647.JPG
    IMG_9647.JPG
    424.4 KB · Views: 7
1963 prices .

Auto chucker $5300
HLV-H $6900
:eek:

Back