Hardinge HLV (s/n 0052) Restoration

elias erwan

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a Hardinge HLV lathe (one of the very first factory models with S / N 0052 - probably 1949 from my sources). The previous owner had already done a lot of restoration on it but I still have work to do to restore it completely.

I have never worked on a metal lathe so I am a complete beginner in the field. I will already give you the little things done on this beautiful object.

r.jpeg

For now, here is what I have been able to do since January 1st:
- electrical rewiring of the main box
- remake an old backelite screw (3D printing) to keep the motor coals in advance
- repaint the feed motor
- connect the main safety switch
- remake the box and longitudinal advance lever of the carriage
- remake the eccentric screw which holds the upper carriage
- change the starter and the feed motor variator switches
- paint the lamp

Here some photos of the work done :
Capture d’écran 2020-12-28 à 14.49.33.png

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-z22 at 17.14.11.jpeg
20210106_143138.jpg

Redraw of the plate (I print it on glossy paper, glue and cover it with epoxy) :
Panneau commande HARDINGE.jpg plaque moteur hardinge.png
Before and after (new wiring, new variac, I add fuses, new "old" switches):

boitier electrique terminé.png
WhatsApp Image 2020-12-22 at 17.14.11.jpegboitier hardinge terminé.jpg
Here is the missing "clutch box" on the left
WhatsApp Image er2020-12-22 at 17.14.11.jpeg

I paint it :

So I draw it on Fusion 360 :
Capture d’écran 2021-01-27 à 09.17.38.png Capture d’écran 2021-01-27 à 09.28.30.png

An ask somebody (in France) to make me a new one. during this time, i realize my first real shoot :the axis of the clutch (from scratch).

poignée en cours 2.jpgpoignée en cours.jpg
oingnée terminée 3.jpg poingnée terminée 1.jpg

I drew the missing Hardinge Plate :
HARDINGE Brothers.pngcanvas.png

Attachments

• 20210108_194303.jpg
    20210108_194303.jpg
    637.4 KB · Views: 12
Now I still have things to do:

- Replace the tool holder (does not hold correctly), if you have any advice I am interested.
- Renovate the oil pump and the sprinkler system
- add a safety pedal

But for now I would like to solve the problem of the noise of the motor belts. These are not the original belts and I would like to change it. I think that will solve the noise and vibration problems of the variable speed pulley.

At slow speed :

And high speed :

I do not have an infinitely extendable budget and I would like to find the equivalent belts at gates for example. If anyone knows the exact references VSG-9624 - ???? and 9625 - ????) I am very interested.

Thanks a lot for your help

on the, tool holder I replaced mine with a quick change tool post and couldn't be happier.

I had to replace the belts on mine, it had sat so long they took a permeant bend at the pulleys and craked. The new Hardinge belts are made in Mexico and don't run perfectly true either.
The belts on the variable drive actually run fairly loose, try slacking them off, that seams to get rid of a lot of vibration. Also playing with the alignment of the intermediate shives smooths it out.
They're a low HP motor, the belts don't have to be very tight.
I use a home made quick change tool post on mine.
Beautiful job on the tags.
Yours has a different change gear cover than mine, way bigger, would yours be metric?
Nice restoration
If you use it a lot they don't stay that pretty. Mine was a few few yers ago.
_MG_3404.jpg

Greg

I had to replace the belts on mine, it had sat so long they took a permeant bend at the pulleys and craked. The new Hardinge belts are made in Mexico and don't run perfectly true either.
The belts on the variable drive actually run fairly loose, try slacking them off, that seams to get rid of a lot of vibration. Also playing with the alignment of the intermediate shives smooths it out.
They're a low HP motor, the belts don't have to be very tight.
I use a home made quick change tool post on mine.
Beautiful job on the tags.
Yours has a different change gear cover than mine, way bigger, would yours be metric?
Nice restoration
If you use it a lot they don't stay that pretty. Mine was a few few yers ago.

Thanks for all this information.

Regading the blets, I already losse them and as you said, that reduce the vibration but not make it desepear. You can also hear a squealing of the belts on the pulleys.

The change cover is bigger indeed but it is an imperial one. In the futur I probably add everything to run it in metric (I'm French).

Beautiful job on your lathe. I know that mine will not stay like this a long time.

While looking for the condition of the belts I noticed something which seems abnormal to me on the variable pulley. Is it a crack? I hope not.
IMG_0401.JPG

IMG_0396.JPG
And what are these two nipples on the axis for? Hope this is not a DIY from the previous owner yet ...

The belts mounted on the lathe are Continental Variflex 29/12 1407-YI and 29/12 952-YI. I can't find any information about them..do you have some information ? Are they the right belts ?

Thanks

The frame is definitely broken out around the set screw. At least its not in a precision area. Could be brazed in and machined, might not hurt to plate the side of it to strengthen it.
Will try and get a look at mine, the parts manual I have is for a HLV-H, it shows the shaft turning on bearings in the frame, yours must have the bearings in the sheave arrangement.
Kind of sort of maybe recall the original belts being Continental, been a few years.
Also recall something about the spindle bearings not being field serviceable before serial number 300, which was what mine was. Not sure whats involved with the earlier ones but the spindle has to be removed to change the top belt.

Your sheave arrangement is the same as mine. Mine doesn't have the grease zerk or set screw? Maybe they used bearings with no seals on the inside and you can grease them. The set screw might be to let pressure out as your pumping the grease to avoid popping the seals.
Those are the same belt numbers as mine.
The noise yours is making sounds more like a bearing or metal on metal rubbing. Don't think thats belt noise.
Checked the tension on my belts, they're almost loose enough to touch each other when squeezed together.
Adjusted the brake on mine when I had the door open. Needs a new cork, getting metal to metal now.

Greg

Thanks a lot for all these informations. I am going to take the cast iron frame apart with the pulleys and make a solid repair.

Thank you also for the information of the belts.

I'll share my future repairs (hopefully within a week or two.)

I would also like to change the tool holder for a quick change tool holder, if you have any advice on brands or models that fit the HArding HLV I would like to see the information.

thanks again

Back