Hardinge HLV (s/n 0052) Restoration

Hello everyone, I have a problem for removing the pulley shaft. I read all the instructions but the pulley shaft seems to be to long for being pull out from the iron cast.
it doesn't matter if I raise the pulley unit or lower it, nothing helps.
Please help me, I already lost 3 hours on this

IMG_0420.JPG
IMG_0421.JPG

Will the shaft slide out of the pulley arrangement?

Greg

Will the shaft slide out of the pulley arrangement?

Greg
with a clamp I managed with difficulty to move the pulleys on the axis so that it was possible for me to take the motor belt out. Unfortunately that is not enough to remove the other belt or completely remove the shaft.

I don't have a lot of space to work and the shaft doesn't seem to move much. I'm a bit stuck ... like the shaft.

If you got the motor belt out can you now remove the axle the mount pivots on and get enough slack to get the upper belt off?

Greg

Good idea. But to be clear, you mean the axle that allows the iron frame to move up and down when the handheel is turned ?

I just hope that I will be able to mount everything back when the brasing will be done.

A little tired from all this energy spent on not much, I'll stop there for today. I will just put brake cleaner for all night in the shaft and hope it helps tomorrow.

thanks

Yes, its going to have to come out to be repaired at any rate.

Greg

Hi everyone,

After very long hours of fighting, heating, clamping, typing, screwing, unscrewing ... I finally managed to remove these pulleys, axis and the bearings that go with them.

IMG_0435.jpg

The cracked frame could also be dismantled.
IMG_0436.jpgIMG_0438.jpg
IMG_0437.jpg

I have to find someone to brase the crack (which seems to has already been repaired ) as well as the block of the pulleys at their ends (the brasing is starting to lock).

IMG_0449.jpg

On the other hand, still impossible to remove the belt which goes to the spindle. I dismantled a good part of the tour to get there but I'm not there yet.
IMG_0442.jpg
According to the manual the upper pulley is supposed to slide along the spindle and by removing the spindle the pulley should "fall" into the engine block. The problem is that this pulley is too big and the spindle does not slide fully (blocked by the ball bearings on the left and right). I have to find a solution because the upper belt is badly damaged.

I will also take the opportunity to change the bearings.

Regars,

Vaguely remember it being a bit of a chinese puzzle to get it apart. There may be something to what I read about spindles before 300 not being field serviceable?
Mine had sat so long the grease in the bearings and on the gears had solidified. Had to be totally disassembled. The gearbox for threading was a bear to get everything aligned and timed to go back together.

Greg

Hello everyone,

Some news after these almost 2 weeks of absence. Here is the progress of the work:
- Dismantling of the spindle, the variable pulley, the variable pulley frame and the advance box,
8F3668B6-B735-4E89-9928-FABEF8023C9B.jpg
- Dismantling of the steering wheel of the saddle for painting the steering wheel and the block,
IMG_0525.jpgIMG_0617.jpg
- Change of the needle bearings of the saddle steering wheel (one of the 2 had the needles completely broken),
- Disassembly / cleaning / inspection of the small flywheels of the transverse and upper carriages
IMG_0629.jpg
- Repair of 2 bakelite parts with black-dyed epoxy resin (here in photo before sanding),
IMG_0547.jpg
- Dismantling of the doors, interior painting and cleaning / bluing of the clamp storage shelves,
IMG_0628.jpg
- Thorough cleaning of the variable pulley,
- Changing the bearings of the variable pulley,
- Repair of the variable pulley by brazing (the internal axis of the pulley was no longer attached to the pulley),
- Repair of the crack on the cast iron frame by adding a "U" welded iron, gluing with charged epoxy, fixing by drilling / tapping H M10 screws (sorry not really a photo, I was too focused ,
IMG_0619.jpg
- Change of the variable belts which in particular required the lowering of the engine block by ten centimeters because the previous owner had installed belts that were too short (and also too wide),
- Reassembly of the assembly,

Now it remains to adjust the assembly (alignment, belt tension, etc.).

I also received the automatic advance lever block that I designed and had made by CNC. Small lick of paint. I still have to make the spring and put it back on the saddle.
Dessin technique manette hardinge.jpg
20210210_182550.jpg
IMG_0630.JPG

Back