Hardinge TM & UM questions, weight & diffs?

The Hardinge mills a just about perfect for the home shop
I own two of them ,a TM and a UM for about 30 years now
Ideal for model and gun work
I cut gears often and keyways

Robbie

Atwatterkent, thanks a lot for the pics of the TM in action. Very nice. It looks like it would be very versitile. A friend bought a mill from a local company that was bought out & is not keeping the machine shop that was in the building & not used for 10+ years. He said they have a TM. When I called they did not think so but were not sure, they have several old mills & lathes. I am trying to get off to go look at them on Thurs. I will post further info after I get a chance to see what they have. Is a Hardinge 5C different than a std 5C??
Thanks guys! (sorry for spelling, con't find checker)
========================================================
No difference in 5C dimensions .

You will find some 5C collets that have internal threads for "work stop".

I have a set of 5C that have LH external threads for some grinding fixtures but I belive they have a different collet designation number

I posted a couple of photos of my TM in my album. I'll add pics of the steps in machining additional arbors if anyone would like to see them.
I know this is an OLD THREAD.... but, do the photos still exist, somewhere for the Hardinge Mill? I would really like to see them. Thanks
TEX

I know this is an OLD THREAD.... but, do the photos still exist, somewhere for the Hardinge Mill? I would really like to see them. Thanks
TEX
The recent Lee Bakulich auction had a couple of beautiful Hardinge mills. Here's the vertical model HVM:
hardinge1.jpghardinge2.jpghardinge3.jpghardinge4.jpghardinge6.jpghardinge7.jpghardinge8.jpghardinge9.jpghardinge10.jpghardinge11.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the horizontal model TM-UM:

hardinge12.jpghardinge13.jpghardinge14.jpghardinge15.jpghardinge16.jpghardinge17.jpghardinge18.jpghardinge19.jpghardinge20.jpghardinge21.jpghardinge23.jpghardinge24.jgp.jpg

Found a Hardinge TM, no arbors, no tooling, no verticle spindle and no drive shaft for power table. Wired 240 3PH. asking 1,100. What would you offer? This would be my first mill of any sort.https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/353675624278790/

Last edited:
Hard to say without more information but Hardinge is good stuff. You’ll want the vertical head which might set you back quite a bit.

$1100 is what I gave for my Hardinge BB4 which is the little brother of what you’re looking at.

They’re small machines but far more capable than a Chinese mini mill.

That said, you’re coming close to what a used Bridgeport clone will run depending on where you are. So, if you have the space for a bigger machine and you see yourself doing bigger projects it might be better to hold out for a full sized mill.

Post some pictures if you can.

John

Oops,

Noticed how old this one is and I already posted on it :acne:

Last edited:
Room is at a very high premium in my shop space. I have noticed that people are using Bridgeport and other heads on them. As far as the arbor is there a special head with notches or do you just use the collet and support?

That auction was just down the road a few miles. Saw these little Hardinge machines in person. They were spectacular. As were several as new HLVH lathes. Somebody got some real collectors pieces. Bought 4 pickup loads of stuff. Mostly tooling and cabinets.

Back