Hardware

Brento

Registered
Registered
Where does everyone one buy hardware from? Im in need of a couple 1/2-13 cap screws and low head cap screws. I tried my HD and Lowes. Got nothing. I didnt try my Tractor Supply but i have a feeling they wont have then either. I dont want to use McMaster or MSC bc it is an arm and a leg for them and i dont need 100 of them. Any places to search that could be a decent price for like 10 of them? I dont mind buying online.

My local true value has a large assortment of bolts. Albeit at a premium in price. Maybe a true value or ace hardware if you have one around? Also fastenal or a place like that, though in my experience if they don’t stock it you’re buying the whole pack.

Where does everyone one buy hardware from? Im in need of a couple 1/2-13 cap screws and low head cap screws. I tried my HD and Lowes. Got nothing. I didnt try my Tractor Supply but i have a feeling they wont have then either. I dont want to use McMaster or MSC bc it is an arm and a leg for them and i dont need 100 of them. Any places to search that could be a decent price for like 10 of them? I dont mind buying online.
eBay is perfect for this. You can even specify Grade 12.9 (metric) or Grade 8 (Imperial).

A lot of my eBay hardware purchases are fulfilled by Monster Bolts.

McMaster-Carr for small quantities of anything that I don't get at a local hardware store.
McMaster is not always the low cost supplier but they have an excellent selection and usually in stock. Shipping is very reasonable for small boxes and a day or two delivery to most locations. Ordering from McMaster saves me time (no shopping) and driving (time, cost, frustration).
If you need a bunch of something . . . shop around for best price.

We've got a huge Ace that has everything. I also get the low grade 'by the pound' stuff from TSC. But I like to buy large quantities (100 - 500) of better grade stuff online at good prices.

PS: Went to buy some close fitting 5/16" flat washers at Ace last week. $79 for a box of 100 but 8 mm were like $14:mad:

Aaron

I just was checking bolt depot and damn the prices are decent. I will be checking ebay and KBC as well.

For nuts and bolts I use McMaster-Carr almost exclusively, they do sell in smaller quantities, in the larger sizes and the quality is always top. Best thing is, most all orders arrive the next day, via regular UPS, I have even received freight deliveries from them the next day! Yes, they aren't the cheapest source but the selection, quality, speed and overall convenience, make it well worth any extra cost, for me.

Much of this might be "regional", but will maybe help some Canadian members......

Local Home Hardware is not bad, but selection is limited.
Tractor Supply (now Peavey Mart or some such) also has limited choice and is 12 times further away.

I used to stop at either of two local places Ottawa Fastener Supply or Fastenal.
OFS has a terrible web presence; they stock tons of stuff, but I cannot be sure it's there before I go (about an hour round trip)
Fastenal won't give me an online account as an individual without a business number. I quit them.

eBay has been good for getting exactly what I want, but is not quick.

This place has been fantastic:
https://www.boltsplus.ca/
Every time I visit the web site they have more product.
I can usually find everything I need in the quantities I want at a decent price.
Shipping speed is reasonable too, usually just a day to two.

Brian

Back