Has anyone installed Clough42's electronic leadscrew on a PM machine?

I have been slowly progressing on the ELS for my PM 1030. I am doing too many other things.
I have all the parts (I think), everything programmed (I think), an enclosure for the electronics. I cut a hole for a fan, then many small holes for the intake. This box had a removable panel on the bottom, so I 3D printed up a plate that fits with 4 holes to accept the pin connectors I’m using.
I printed a holder for the Ti electronics, some holdowns for the 12V power supply. Power supply is mounted, 12V supply (for fan) mounted, fan mounted, intake filter. I got too small a box for the 110 outlet I have for the 5V and 12V supplies. Just need to pick full size one up and mount on the backplate.
I’ve been wiring up everything in the box, those are all done. Next I have the cable for the integrated servo soldered to the pin connector. I need to measure how long to make it, then do the encoder to pin connector. Same with servo DC power and display.

Once I have all wired up, I will test on the bench and make sure everything really works. Then mount the servo in the ’body’ of the lathe with some mounts I printed up. Take off the original gear on the spindle and mount the toothed belt one. Mount up encoder with mounts I printed up, then install new toothed belt gears and see if it works.

I hope to have a list of everything I used and can share the Fusion 360 files and STL files for anyone wanting to print up what I did (or I can print them). I have gotten a lot of help here so would like to help any others wanting to do it. (But better wait to make sure I did everything right!)

Last edited:
I made more progress. I made a huge bonehead move. I do not know how, but somehow I managed to swap the 12V and 5V supplies, since they had the same connector. So I cooked the boards. Stupid.
I worked as an electronics tech for years, so I have no excuse, I know to double check everything. Can I blame it on being retired? Ha

Anyway, I tested this morning after reprogramming- display works great, encoder works. I am now wiring integrated servo (I have to double check on James’ documentation) then the power wiring to servo. After checking on the bench, I will install on lathe. I *think* I have all the appropriate mounts I made, plus belts and gears/pullies from another user here.

Still seem to have more things to do than time to do it.
I do have the ELS system working on the bench- everything connected with the final cables, electronics in box and ready to mount. It was satisfying to see it all work well.
I will wait until I know I have time to finish the mounting before I need to use the lathe. It will take a fair amount of time if I wanted to switch back to gear drive (although not TOO much). I can get the box mounted where I plan to have it- then route wires, remove gears, mount new components etc.

I will post up some pics when done.

Although I saved all the parts and gears when I converted to ELS, I don't think I'll ever go back to gears. My ELS is so convenient, I honestly can't see a reason to revert. It would be like going back from a smart phone of today to a Princess dial phone.

I was thinking more if I did not get the conversion complete, then had to make something on the lathe…
I do doubt I will ever switch back once I have it operating.
No you never will switch back I all but forgot what it was like with gears lol..
I just got a ER40 chunk for the 1030 and that just adds to the things that make this Lathe a better one..

I used a 36Vdc power supply since that is the specs on the servo. I know James used a higher voltage, but I chose to stay in published specs. the one I used is in a regular case that I screwed to the inside of electrics box.

I went ahead and ordered the 48 volt power supply but now I can't seem to be able to find pullies for my lathe. Maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing, I'm looking for two HTD 3M pullies with for 18mm shaft with a 5mm keyway. Again, I'm following what @xr650rRider did on his lathe, it worked for him, and my lathe is very similar just a little smaller being the 1236T.

I'm up for suggestions.

Tim

Just a quick glance on Ebay and these are similiar to what I used.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165518730715
You just pick the size you want. I used 40 tooth for everything. 2 on the lathe were 18mm bore with keyway, 1 on servo was 14mm bore ID with keyway, 1 on encoder was 6mm and no keyway (you'll find one on ebay). I used 15mm 3M HTD belt, so that's the width your looking for. These all came with the outer hub with set screws, I turned those off in the lathe and drilled and tapped the center where the belt rides for the keyway. If the keyway width isn't exactly what your measuring, I wouldn't sweat it. Not like you have a 10HP application.

For power supply I used a 48 volt and it was at least 500 watt switching power supply. I think Clough42 had a listing for it in some of the early videos. It was maybe $50. The servo I used was 48 volt.

Back