Has anyone installed Clough42's electronic leadscrew on a PM machine?

Done works perfect and I love it already that 9 dollar control board took a nap and I had to get a new one I'll fix the bad one and keep it as a backup.

I recently finished installing one on my PM1030v. I used the integrated servo James did a review on a couple of months ago, primarily because it eliminated the need for a separate stepper driver. Because the PM has a separate feed drive from the leadscrew I'm using a slightly different approach to the gear reduction between the servo and the leadscrew. Like James I'm using a 3:1 gear reduction belt drive from the servo to the gearbox on the lathe. When threading I use the 2:1 position on the lathe gearbox (same as James) for an overall reduction of 6:1. However the power feed in the PM1030 effectively provides an additional 10:3 gear reduction in the saddle, which I felt was too much gear reduction, so I have mine programmed to be used with the gearbox in the 1:2 position providing an overall gear reduction of 5:1 in feed mode. I integrated everything except the servo power supply in the lathe itself. The servo is mounted inside the lathe bed casting (this was a tight fit), and the electronics are mounted in the electric enclosure on the back of the lathe. The encoder and servo mounts are 3d printed parts. The power supply is mounted to the bottom of the bench top the lathe sits on.

-Pete

A couple of pictures....

Any chance you could sell the mounts?
Sources and sizes for pullys/belts would be very appreciated also. (Apologize if you answered later in this thread, I have not read all of it yet- but didn’t want to forgot to ask)

All done well almost. The control board took a nap so I can't change settings or check rpms. I have a new one coming and I cleaned up the cables and put the cover back on.

Very nice.
Did you use the same servo and encoder as James did? That is my plan at the moment.
I would be interested in the pullies and belt. The gear drive for encoder looks great, but I am not sure I could make that…I don’t suppose you want to make more?

very clean install.

Very nice.
Did you use the same servo and encoder as James did? That is my plan at the moment.
I would be interested in the pullies and belt. The gear drive for encoder looks great, but I am not sure I could make that…I don’t suppose you want to make more?

very clean install.
Yes I did it the same and it's a dream.

As soon as I get my mill I would be willing to make something for you but right now I can make stuff that works both not at my standards

Yes I did it the same and it's a dream.

As soon as I get my mill I would be willing to make something for you but right now I can make stuff that works both not at my standards

Something that works would be fine. I don’t think I could make them. (I have been ‘talking’ with you on youtube.

I have been working on the Clough ELS on my PM1030v. (Thanks to Tammy63 for all the help).

I designed and printed a mount for the servo, sitting inside the lathe body- like others. I made up a mount for the encoder, but I goofed up and neglected to allow for the spindle pulley and belt. oh well. I’m just learning.l

I started doing the soldering- it has been awhile, although I was an electronics tech for years.

Picture is of servo mount- and located (roughly) in place.

Attachments

• IMG_7245.jpeg
    IMG_7245.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_7244.jpeg
    IMG_7244.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7243.jpeg
    IMG_7243.jpeg
    49.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_9128.jpeg
    IMG_9128.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 76
Where is a good place to ask about an issue I’m having programming the TiLaunchpad?
I keep getting an error.

I think I saw someplace people talking about it, but I cannot find it again.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 2.28.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 2.28.30 PM.png
    56.5 KB · Views: 55
I have problems with my hands makes it difficult to hold and control the dials on my lathe , I looks a James els but as it was only on the Z axis I thought I wouldn’t be much better off, so in the end I decided to buy the full kit from Rocketronics in Germany and I love it.
It is amazing how much it can do although it wasn’t cheap but it means all I have to do is add a few parameters into the els 4 controller and it does the rest , I can still turn the steppers off if I need to do something manually, it will turn, face cut internal & external tapers, thread both metric & imperial ( convert to metric ) including taper threading, multi thread , grove, bore, and so much more.
I have a Myford ML10 lathe and fitted everything without having to drill or thread any extra holes , a closed loop stepper to leadscrew and normal stepper to crosslide , enchoder, pulley’s and belts all fitted in place of the change wheels and the cover still fits.
I have done a short video of it working, not the best video but it shows how it works, the first part I hadn’t measured the backlash correctly so the backlash settings were wrong but once I sorted that it did a good job.
Dell

Where is a good place to ask about an issue I’m having programming the TiLaunchpad?
I keep getting an error.

I think I saw someplace people talking about it, but I cannot find it again.
Try another cable, I had the same thing and it was the cable I was using. IO also have to buy the cable James used to update the motor..

Back