Help Me Fix My Thread Dial

The old Atlas that I had, has a full length keyway on the leadscrew.

My current lathe does not have said keyway. My thread dail has 4 major divisions and uses a 32 t "gear".
Pierre

It's my understanding that to reduce costs, some lathes will combine the leadscrew with the power feed by doing this (having both threads and a keyway). Larger and/or more expensive lathes will have separate leadscrews and power feed shafts.

Well, this is so much more complicated than I first imagined. haha.

Yes my lead screw is keyed.

It sounds like I should be able to just find a "gear" from many manufacturers, however.

I had seen a video on YouTube where a guy had set up a piece of work in the chucks and oriented a hss tool to cut the teeth much the same way a shaper would. just worked it back and forth and deepening as he went until he had cut a tooth.
My plan was to do much the same with a piece of delrin to see how it works. I was going to grind a hss tool bit to a shape that would fit the lead screw teeth and just carve my way in, basically. dirty, but in my mind it works. the trickiest part being evenly spacing the teeth, of course.
I was going to buy a dividing head that would aide in this, as I mentioned, but I procrastinated and the deal passed me by.

I should note, I do not have a mill available to me.............. yet...

What lathe do you have? Also post a pic of the gear.

Shawn,

PM me your mailing address and I will send you a thread dial that I took off the 7x14 that I used to have. It has a 16T gear. Maybe you can use it or modify it to work on your machine. If not, just pass it on.

Edit: The gear OD is .352", if that helps.

Tom

It is 8 tpi. There is a photo of it in the other topic with ruler along side.
Pierre

Pierre,

There's no way I would remember seeing that pic. I've slept since then. ;)

Last edited:
What lathe do you have? Also post a pic of the gear.

It is a clone of the Jet BDB-1340A, but older. It has a threaded spindle and no marking ANYWHERE! I placed a scale beside the gear as the photo shows.image.jpegimage.jpeg
Pierre

Here is the indicator table for a 16T dial gear from my lathe.
IMG_0059.JPG

Shawn,

PM me your mailing address and I will send you a thread dial that I took off the 7x14 that I used to have. It has a 16T gear. Maybe you can use it or modify it to work on your machine. If not, just pass it on.

Edit: The gear OD is .352", if that helps.

Tom

Pierre,

There's no way I would remember seeing that pic. I've slept since then. ;)
did you mean the ID is .352"? otherwise, thats a TINY gear.

Back