(HELP) Rockwell 21-100 quill stuck.

CoyoteJews

Registered
Registered
Could use some help here, relatively new to milling but picking up on it quick. I have a Rockwell 21-100 and Im only getting about a half inch of throw in the quill going down and it wont return to the full up position either. I have tried everything that seemed obvious to me and some things that dont but to no avail. Made sure the locking bolt was loose along with the fine feed nut. Any help would be appreciated.

I have attatched pictures that show the highest and lowest it will go before sticking.Screenshot_20231013_115439_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231013_115429_Gallery.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I suspect contamination and/or damage to the pinion/rack or other gear mesh.
You'll need to disassemble to check what's going on in there.
The machine has the fine feed/clutch assembly, correct.

Here's a link to a good manual.

Yes the machine has the fine feed/ clutch assembly which also works within that small area. When I got the machine a year ago it had near full range of motion (still stuck at the bottom). I didnt use the quill feed for awhile and the next time I tried to it was like this.

I'm wondering if the stop collar/shaft assembly on the front there is jamming up somehow- I have a similar thingy on my Rotex head

I’d check the tapered clutch piece to ensure it’s not just stuck. Loosening the fine feed nut doesn’t guarantee the clutch isn’t just stuck. But…I’m not very sure about that. Just a thought.

I’d check the tapered clutch piece to ensure it’s not just stuck. Loosening the fine feed nut doesn’t guarantee the clutch isn’t just stuck. But…I’m not very sure about that. Just a thought.
Clutch seems to move freely but thanks for the suggestion.

I'm wondering if the stop collar/shaft assembly on the front there is jamming up somehow- I have a similar thingy on my Rotex head
Ill double check but that doesnt seem to be the issue. Thanks though

Figure anything out yet?

Figure anything out yet?
I have not, tried everything short of disassembling the head yesterday so today I will break into it and figure this out.

Start by removing the vertical stop rod. That gives you access to the bolt that frees the quill stop. After that, pull the quill pinion. Might remove the quill lock too. Then take the whole quill out.
I'd suspect a chunk of junk in the quill rack.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Back