Help with gear

@skeptonomicon

Oooops, no photo of the change gear chart; but we may not need it.....

Yeah, good thinking!
That sounds like the best path forward.

The diameters of the 100/50 should be so close to the 104/52 that you should have enough banjo/quadrant/bracket movement to accommodate them. It might be worth cutting out some simple cardboard discs (no teeth required) of the same size and verify with a test fit. Just so there are no surprises; like interference somewhere else.

Brian

I had the gear cherry red. It would not melt the rod unless it was real hot. I might try this again with new flux/rod. Any recommendations for specific products??
What I use probably doesn't mean much to you. My favorite flux for this application is Marvel No. 162 welding and brazing flux made by the Air Reduction company. There probably isn't a store that carries it, since it is a very old product. It is probably similar to Harris 600. These are high temperature fluxes suitable for brazing and welding cast iron, and they contain fluorides.

Depending on what you call "cherry red", it may not be hot enough. A lot of curmudgeon blacksmiths say that old time cherries were more orange like carrots. Have you practiced on junk cast iron? Recently, a lot of cast iron drain covers have been shattering, and the little pieces get strewn all over the road. This is very good for practice, and I've made welding rods and replacement gear teeth out of the chunks.

Back