Hi! My Name is Yuriy ...

Let's see if I get this right
I first cut the mounting plate to the quill. On the quill there's a plastic cap that can be removed with absolutely no ill effects. It appears to be decorative. This exposes about 1/4" of the quill to attach the plate to.
The four countersunk holes were to mount the piece to a faceplate to turn the hole in the center.
I left metal on the front of the plate to eventually add a positive stop for repetitive drilling without looking at the DRO all the time.
S-20200618_211949.jpg

The ear on the left is milled slightly to allow the DRO mount plate to sit flush when the quill is all the way up. You can sort of see the milled area on the last pic.

The pick up unit is inside the hollow part of the mill head. I trimmed it to just barely not touch the top of the mill head.

S-20200618_212445.jpg

The slide will be connected to the quill plate with an aluminum block. I don't have it handy but you can get the idea.

S-20200618_212431.jpg

Here's a close up of it in position. The two studs on holding the DRO mount plate are actually holes that are already in place. I just put a couple long set screws there and hold it in place with nuts. I think they are M8 but don't hole me to that.

S-20200618_212507.jpg

S-20200618_212020.jpg

Hopefully this gives a good example of how it's set up.

Let's see if I get this right
I first cut the mounting plate to the quill. On the quill there's a plastic cap that can be removed with absolutely no ill effects. It appears to be decorative. This exposes about 1/4" of the quill to attach the plate to.
The four countersunk holes were to mount the piece to a faceplate to turn the hole in the center.
I left metal on the front of the plate to eventually add a positive stop for repetitive drilling without looking at the DRO all the time.
View attachment 328027

The ear on the left is milled slightly to allow the DRO mount plate to sit flush when the quill is all the way up. You can sort of see the milled area on the last pic.

The pick up unit is inside the hollow part of the mill head. I trimmed it to just barely not touch the top of the mill head.

View attachment 328028

The slide will be connected to the quill plate with an aluminum block. I don't have it handy but you can get the idea.

View attachment 328029

Here's a close up of it in position. The two studs on holding the DRO mount plate are actually holes that are already in place. I just put a couple long set screws there and hold it in place with nuts. I think they are M8 but don't hole me to that.

View attachment 328030

View attachment 328031

Hopefully this gives a good example of how it's set up.
Thanks, great pics and annotation. Been thinking of the slotted/clamping attachment and I like the position you put that in better than what I was thinking.

I too want to put a stop on it.

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Would I be right in assuming that this forum has ceased to be monitored by its creator?

+1 on that :)

Shahe magnetic cross slide mount

Thingiverse link, I will add the bed clamping style mount I made as well.
You can attach or remove them in seconds if you want.
Running with the Shahe touchdro board plug and play. (set calibration 2540 and off you go)
For 8x lathes one for chuck side another for tail stock side which ever you like best.
Touch DRO = awesome!
I use a 3d printed profile of part I want to make mounted in the chuck to input data to the workspace for now.
Importing a picture or drawing will be even better.
Thank's Yuriy

Last edited:
Back