Hi! My Name is Yuriy ...

Hi Yuriy,
everything OK with you?
I sent you a few PMs and emails but haven't heard back. Also noticed you havent posted in a few weeks.... Just checking in....
Cheers
Joe

Hi Yuriy
When I bought my mill a couple of years ago I bought some Shahe scales like in Inferno's post above. I built the TI launchpad version of your Touch DRO but could never get the two to communicate. As I recall the issue was trying to resolve the pin outs on the Shahe scales and although I tried every different configuration on your website nothing seemed to work. You were very helpful at the time. In the end I gave up and bought a 3 axis DRO on Ali E.

I have often contemplated using the Shahe scales on my lathe, blowing the dust off my TI board and plugging it all in to your app on an old Ipad but have never got round to it. I guess I should revisit your site and see if i can get the combo to talk to each other.

Huge respect for what you have done for the community.

Kind regards
Peter

I think I had a problem with the pins on the USB also.
Once I had them figured out it went smooth as silk.
I did a little different than most do, I think. I added USB plugs to the board (through wires) so the connection went a little easier. Using a standard USB cable to plug into the board, rather than trying to figure out the wires in the cable made a difference.

On a different note, I'm really getting the best out of the DRO.
This last few weeks I've been matching up drill holes on my CNC project and getting things within 0.001" lining up.
The Z-axis on the CNC is coming together pretty nice. I'm only about halfway through though the Z though. It's very complicated, the way I'm building it.

Yuriy, After perusing your "Toys" site I ordered a compatible glass scale for the quill on my recently purchased Smithy. As I plan on several mods (VFDs, Clough42 Electronic Lead Screws on X & Y) I'm mounting a steel electrical cabinet, will Bluetooth communicate through or should I put a plastic "window" in it. Thank you!

Yuriy, After perusing your "Toys" site I ordered a compatible glass scale for the quill on my recently purchased Smithy. As I plan on several mods (VFDs, Clough42 Electronic Lead Screws on X & Y) I'm mounting a steel electrical cabinet, will Bluetooth communicate through or should I put a plastic "window" in it. Thank you!
Which Smithy did you get?
I've made a couple "changes" to mine. I'm interested to see other people's ideas.

Inferno,
I have the Midas 1220 Ltd. It fits my shop and the range of machining I intend doing. Interestingly, the headstock/ chuck indicates
Which machine so you have and changes made?

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

Somehow my last post deleted "less than .0005' tire and fly cuts within .0003" across 6" "

Inferno,
I have the Midas 1220 Ltd. It fits my shop and the range of machining I intend doing. Interestingly, the headstock/ chuck indicates
Which machine so you have and changes made?

I also have the Midas 1220 LTD
The very first thing I did was change the toolpost holder out for a quick change. I bought a cheap aluminum one and had to make a few modifications (and I screwed up a little) to get the toolpost to fit but I won't go back to the original one. Someday I might get a better quick change but this one works.
I also added the YURI DRO on all three axis. I added a tach on the lathe head as well.
I'm in the middle of adding a drill stop on the mill head. I had a DRO on it but never secured the wire going to my bluetooth board and I had a bird nest grab the wire and, well, I'm going to fix it some day.
I removed the front/back slide and, for the life of me I can't remember how, modified it slightly to take up some of the slop. Whatever I did, I need to do better because it's gotten sloppy again.
An unintentional modification came from a crash I had with the horizontal axis, in power feed, crashed into the frame and broke some stuff. I replaced the gear hub that broke (and bought a spare) but haven't fixed the housing that broke.
And I added a softer pin to the horizontal screw so it will, hopefully, fail if I ever crash it again.

I know I did a couple other things but don't remember off the top of my head.

I really like the machine. I get within .001" any time I want with the DRO.

I also have the Midas 1220 LTD
The very first thing I did was change the toolpost holder out for a quick change. I bought a cheap aluminum one and had to make a few modifications (and I screwed up a little) to get the toolpost to fit but I won't go back to the original one. Someday I might get a better quick change but this one works.
I also added the YURI DRO on all three axis. I added a tach on the lathe head as well.
I'm in the middle of adding a drill stop on the mill head. I had a DRO on it but never secured the wire going to my bluetooth board and I had a bird nest grab the wire and, well, I'm going to fix it some day.
I removed the front/back slide and, for the life of me I can't remember how, modified it slightly to take up some of the slop. Whatever I did, I need to do better because it's gotten sloppy again.
An unintentional modification came from a crash I had with the horizontal axis, in power feed, crashed into the frame and broke some stuff. I replaced the gear hub that broke (and bought a spare) but haven't fixed the housing that broke.
And I added a softer pin to the horizontal screw so it will, hopefully, fail if I ever crash it again.

I know I did a couple other things but don't remember off the top of my head.

I really like the machine. I get within .001" any time I want with the DRO.
I also put an AXA wedge style QCTP on right away. Currently I'm planning and gathering parts for upgrade to 1HP 3ph motors with VFDs and electronic lead screws on both x & y axes so that milling doesn't require running the lathe.

How and where did you mount the mill quill scale?

I also put an AXA wedge style QCTP on right away. Currently I'm planning and gathering parts for upgrade to 1HP 3ph motors with VFDs and electronic lead screws on both x & y axes so that milling doesn't require running the lathe.

How and where did you mount the mill quill scale?
I will try to get a couple pictures tonight on the scale mounts. The quill scale is in the mill arm out of the way. It's currently disassembled but I can put it together enough to give you the general idea.

Back