How is this edge finder an "audible" indicator?

dml66

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I bought this edge finder as part of an MSC order, mostly to get over the free shipping threshold but hey, if it chirps the edge instead of me using my not-so-great eyesight on a wobble finder why not?

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/02035251

I cannot for the life of me figure out how this thing works. I gather its a wobble indicator but it's silent, and I'm not sure what the flat spot is for. It's so simple I guess, it came with no instructions :confused:.

Anyone use one of these and wouldn't mind sharing the secret?

Thanks.
edge finder.jpg

Ive not used one, but I believe the flat spot will make a sound when in contact with the work.

I'm guessing it's a bad entry in the database.

I bought this edge finder as part of an MSC order, mostly to get over the free shipping threshold but hey, if it chirps the edge instead of me using my not-so-great eyesight on a wobble finder why not?

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/02035251

I cannot for the life of me figure out how this thing works. I gather its a wobble indicator but it's silent, and I'm not sure what the flat spot is for. It's so simple I guess, it came with no instructions :confused:.

Anyone use one of these and wouldn't mind sharing the secret?

Thanks.
View attachment 489211
When does not work and you yell and scream.
They been around since 1970's. They only work the first day.

The best is wiggly type or optical type.

Dave

Ive not used one, but I believe the flat spot will make a sound when in contact with the work.

Correct; it’s difficult to see in the photo, but the shiny portion of the tip is the flat:

IMG_7161.jpeg

I have one - it works as well as most similar edge finders do, but I’ve never been able to hear it over the ambient sound of the mill.

The flat spot makes a ticking sound when the tip contacts the work piece.

I'm not a fan. I find them hard to use over the noise of a mill.

The flat spot makes a ticking sound when the tip contacts the work piece.

I'm not a fan. I find them hard to use over the noise of a mil
I have that one BUT at my age my hearing does not allow me to here the sound at all.

Back