How is this edge finder an "audible" indicator?

The flat spot increases the sensitivity of the edge finder, I have one that came without the flat, I ground one on it; when approaching the edge finder with the part, the edge finder will "go off" sooner than one without the flat and consequently avoid inaccuracy because of an accidental over run.

If it's a conductive edge finder, it's simple.
The tip is insulated from the main body. Inside is a simple circuit that gets completed when the part touched the metal. The electricity goes through the chuck, bearings, machine, vise and part to connect to the tip of the edge finder.
The tip of mine are spring loaded to avoid damaging the finder.

I have the traditional edge finders, a wiggler, a conductive edge finder, and an optical centering tool. In terms of ease of use, repeatability. and accuracy, the traditional edge finder, in my opinion, comes out on top.

My optical centering tool can locate a feature to within .0001" but requires a microscope and a laptop to use so I only use it as a optical comparator to locate surface features that can't be located by one of the other methods.

I had the wiggler go berserk once, snapping the shaft at the ball. It can be unnerving having that flailing shaft I was able to repair it but the wiggler pretty much lives in its case now.

I have the traditional edge finder set up in a TTS collet so using it is quick and easy. I consistently get repeatable locations to within .0001". In fact, the I always repeat the process until I get three consecutive readings that agree to .000!'. Using one comes down to good technique. If you approach the edge too quickly, you can kick the tip out too early , resulting in a false position or you can overshoot the edge, also giving a false position.

My method is to initially approach the edge relatively quickly to get a rough idea of the location. Then I back off and approach at a rate of .0001"/sec. When I back off, I use my fingernail to center the tip so I only have to back off a few thou. By approaching slowly, it gives the tip to align perfectly with the spindle axis which is necessary for .0001" accuracy. Each iteration can be done in about 30 seconds. I lubricate the interface of the tip and the shank with a light oil which improves sensitivity.

To observe the kickout, there is a audible sound when the surface is contacted. It is louder as spindle speed is increased. I look for a visual indication. At almost 80 y.o., my eyesight is not great. I have astigmatism and progressing cataracts. But with proper lighting, the kickout is distinctive..

Work well but can be somewhat hazardous, particularly if you are setting the pointed tip for picking up a center punch mark.
Honestly, this has become my go to for simple center punch pickup.

A coworker showed me his method years back and I really couldn't grasp it and didn't like it flailing around and having to reset it every time.

I've developed my own method where I run it at roughly 140rpm and I have good success.

The key to running it that slow if to lift it off of the spot quickly.

I like the Euro Style for centerfinding. But for edge finding I don't want to switch back and forth to metric, so I use a wiggler. Amazingly accurate compared to my old edge finder with the ground flat. I see the indication much faster. The Euro is that good, but I need to be moving over metric 2mm. Yes I can convert to decimal, but..

I take it you not use one must .

Dave
I have one (a real, mint condition Craftsman that I bought back in the 80's), but only use it if I need the extra-deep reach it provides. For picking up center marks I use a carbide "pointer," made by breaking the fluted end off a 0.1mm drill bit:

Before:
Bit.jpg

After:
Pointer.jpg
Honestly, this has become my go to for simple center punch pickup.

A coworker showed me his method years back and I really couldn't grasp it and didn't like it flailing around and having to reset it every time.

I've developed my own method where I run it at roughly 140rpm and I have good success.

The key to running it that slow if to lift it off of the spot quickly.

Back