How to Disassemble Starrett Dial Indicator

tmenyc

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have an old Starrett dial indicator, 81-136-622, that appears to work well but came from an old basement shop with kerosene heat, so it's grimy inside. I'd like to clean it. Removed the back cover and it's clean inside.
Starrett has .stp files with a parts diagram, but I'm on a mac so can't open the file, and all the downloadable conversion files seem to be .exe, MS only

It appears from youtube videos that there is a way to align the bezel and pry it off. I've found the detent but can't move the spring inside or the bezel and don't want to harm it. I'd appreciate any help or wisdom.

Tim

The best way to take a Starrett indicator apart is to step on it. Very hard.

Take Benmychree's advice and send it back.

I found how to remove the bezel on my Starretts by looking around here: http://www.longislandindicator.com/p233.html

They have good information on their site about different tools. There is also a book you can buy on there site I believe.

You can also just clean the stem (top and bottom) with mineral spirits. This is safer and very effective.

Ted

Send it to Starrett for repair/service easy to screw it up!
This is just a fun side project; not a $100 commitment for me. If there is a way for a layman to get that bezel off I'd like to give it a try; I've no intention of getting in an disassembling the whole thing.

I'll take a look at Long Island, thanks!

Well, if no-one here has the stomach for it search youtube like here:
There's also some videos by long island indicator. They are fairly simple but delicate and you might have to make some of your own tools (gasp). Actually things like the little hand removers are pretty cheap. Maybe some watch makers will be along.

Also, just because it's Starrett it's not sacred. And if you've got nothing invested why not learn something, even if its just a new way to break something, or how it's put together. You can always pull out your credit card as a last resort!

tc

If you want to attempt removing the bezel and can't find any detailed info, this is my experience, but I've never worked on your particular model so take this with a grain of salt.

If it has a plastic bezel with no holes in the outer circumference, the bezel simply prises (prizes, prys spelling???) off. If it has a small hole in the circumference there is a spring holding it on. The spring has 3 nubs formed in it that stick out a little. I put a small wire in the hole and turn the bezel locating each of these nubs. I've found that two are closer together and the 3rd is more spaced out. They form a "Y" pattern. I push in on this 3rd one to release the spring in the larger open span and then, if required, depress the other nubs as needed to remove it.

Again, I've never tried this on your model, but it might give you a hint.

Good luck,
Ted

I have two last word indicators, one which the hand had come off and was loose inside, and another that had a loose crystal...too small to be squeezed between the bezel and the indicator body, and just rattled around.. Without thinking about it too long, I just used a blade screwdriver and as Technical Ted did, just twisted it to pry the bezel off. I swapped crystals with the good hand indicator and pressed the hand back on its shaft. If I could find a replacement crystal (plastic, really) I would have two good indicators.

I’d like to know how that crystal shrunk, though!

I have two last word indicators, one which the hand had come off and was loose inside, and another that had a loose crystal...too small to be squeezed between the bezel and the indicator body, and just rattled around.. Without thinking about it too long, I just used a blade screwdriver and as Technical Ted did, just twisted it to pry the bezel off. I swapped crystals with the good hand indicator and pressed the hand back on its shaft. If I could find a replacement crystal (plastic, really) I would have two good indicators.

I’d like to know how that crystal shrunk, though!

I called Starrett and bought a new crystal and bezel for my last word. Something like 8 bux for the pair. Shipping was almost that much again.

Tim

Back