How to Disassemble Starrett Dial Indicator

That youtube post is very helpful, thanks! I think that the asking price of the booklet by Long Island Indicator is ridiculous, so I've been sitting on a collection of sticky Starretts that are frustrating at best and useless at worst in their current, used states. If I'm feeling like my hands are steady, maybe I'll give it a go. I reckon a sticky Starrett is no better than a broken one, so nothing to lose, eh?

Yes, I'm getting tempted too!
Tim

If they are just sticky, try cleaning the stem (top and bottom) with mineral spirits and work them up and down while wet. Wipe off and repeat. This has done wonders for some of mine and made them usable again!

Works great for dial test indicators too!

Ted

With a stem indicator like that one, you might just have gummy stuff causing the plunger to be sticky. That is a common issue. Try putting a few drops of solvent on the stem and work it back and forth and see if it frees it up. If it does, that is where the issue is. Often when the solvent dries, it gets sticky again. So, dry off the stem when it is wet after working the stem, to get the sticky crud off. Try it several times, and it may get better. If it does not get better, send it in for repair. Do NOT put oil or oily stuff like kerosene on the stem. Wipe the stem off after each use to keep oil and crud from migrating into the indicator. Try to keep oil and coolant away from the indicator.

Will mineral spirits ruin the dial face if they come into contact? In other words, is a soak and dry possible, or is it only prudent to wipe down the exposed parts?

I also have a Starrett .0001" dial indicator that is tragically sticky that I'd like to have work before I toss it out the nearest window.

Will mineral spirits ruin the dial face if they come into contact? In other words, is a soak and dry possible, or is it only prudent to wipe down the exposed parts?

I also have a Starrett .0001" dial indicator that is tragically sticky that I'd like to have work before I toss it out the nearest window.
If you are asking if you can dunk them while assembled and let them soak, I think my answer is HELL, NO! Indicators are put together with very tiny drops of very high quality oil (like clock oil) that is quite resistant to drying on the various pivots and bushings, something like the tiniest amount you can see on the end of a sewing needle point. It is enough to lubricate what needs it, and keeps crud from accumulating in the bearings. Soaking them will only take that oil out and replace it with crud in the solvent that was introduced during the dunking process. The inside of a indicator should be a clean room, with a minimal amount of the proper lubricant only on things that pivot, and nothing else, including sliding parts. Oil is not used for jeweled bearings.

Bob is right on with the majority of the problem being a sticky plunger. Just clean it and see if that helps. But I’m going against the grain on leaving the stem dry. With my indicators, I put a very small amount/film of oil on the stem. I also make sure the pivots inside are oiled. I do not want any oil on the gear teeth. This is my Hobby Shop. I know I have an oil film on the stems. I know to keep crap, swarf and all things not nice away from my metrology instruments. My 3 cents…Dave

Cleaning and oiling a dial indicator is just like working on a pocket watch. The Horology world puts oil on jeweled pivots. And basically every metal to metal contact except for the gear teeth.

Indicator stems are hard and highly polished. They fit into a smooth and snug fitting bushing. They do not stick if they are clean and dry. Oil that gums and dries and collects crud will change that...

Back