HSS Tool Holders -Question

The radius on the tangential cutter?
Well as mentioned before, I have a version of Niels (FarFar) tangential tool cutter. I have been using since last yr. Also I have mentioned that I do most of my sharpening with a belt sander. The nose radius is somthing I put on my HSS tooling as a habit. Again, this is done on the belt sander.

I just use a 120 grit , well used belt, and the front nose edge that you would want the radius, just hold the HSS bit in your fingers, and rock the bit while running it on the belt. As usual, keep the cutting end to the trailing end of the belt. This will put a radius on the complete length of the tool bit in like 5-seconds. Your tooling will automaticly have a nose radius, and not a sharp pointy end. this gives a great finish.

Try it, you might like it.

Hello Paul

Can we have a picture of the way You round the nose?
There is a picture of how I try and if You advice us to do the same on a beltsander I will need clean clothes afterwards.
Now we are at it I will show facetting of a piece of tantung that is becoming my favourite tool material in a 12 degre tangential tool.
In a 12 degree tangtool the clearance for both edges is 8.5 degrre.Exesive but not much;anythingbetween 3 and seven deggre is better and very easy to make.

IMG_0552.JPG IMG_0578.JPG IMG_0565.JPG IMG_0569.JPG facet.JPG Tantool.jpg Tantool.jpg

Last edited:
I received my Wimberly tool holder the other day and can report that it works very well. You set the compound at 90 degrees to the axis of the lathe and leave it there. You can turn and face without changing the position. I have to move the diamond tool holder when I change from turning to facing. The instructions are very well done. Time will tell if I like the 3/16 tool bit or not. The diamond uses a 1/4 bit and I have been skeptical of that. Perhaps it is just a hang up that I have but I like the 3/8 and 1/2 inch tools. They take more grinding but I feel better using the larger bits. Probably just a social problem. ;)

Back