I think this is my next project car

I was just thinking about this... just trying to visualize the angles, if the engine is at 3.6 down, and the pinion is at 2.4 up (going front-to-rear), BUT the shaft is only at 1.7 down, if you tip the axle up 6 to make it 3.6 down, your operating angles may be too much... the pinion may be higher than the transmission yoke... depending on how long the driveshaft is...

Have you installed the 9" rear axle yet?

-Bear

I just rechecked and I just had the driveshaft sitting in the pinion yoke and it slipped down a little.

Here are the new numbers. Every time I measure it it's a tad bit different.

Transmission
20221210_210621.jpg

Drive shaft

20221210_210543.jpg

Pinion measured with a flat plate against the yoke.

20221210_210414.jpg

As you can see the pinion is down in angle. I haven't plugged in the numbers yet.

Again, how to set #3 slope, up or down?

Last edited:
In your last picture, it appears the tire is off the ground... on a lift? If the axle is hanging from the springs, you are not getting useable numbers on the driveshaft or pinion.

The weight of the car has to be on the axle... otherwise you are using 'unsprung' numbers... this may be why the pinion is pointing down.

-Bear

Not only as Bear said, but the chassis has to be in "ride height" orientation (so the engine/trans are at "ride height" orientation). The best way is to put the tires on the car and set it on the ground (or four equal height supports under the tires).

My last reply is moot.

What happened to the last picture of the pinion? I can't get it to display.

Try again. I had a problem for a minute also seeing it.

According to your pictures (Front of car is to the left) the slop of #3 is UP (rising from front to back of car).

Ok, I apologize...

I would try to figure out how to tip the pinion up to match the angle of the transmission. Maybe with angled shims between the spring and axle? That is what I used on my '51.

I had to buy the shims from a Jeep parts supplier and mill the sides... they were too wide for the Ford springs.

-Bear

According to your pictures (Front of car is to the left) the slop of #3 is UP (rising from front to back of car).

That is correct... but it should be falling from front to back to match the transmission angle.

-Bear

Back