I'm Moving

Sorry to hear about the layoff . I got caught up in a restructuring about 6 yrs ago ...kids in college, mortgage ... It can be pretty devastating when it comes unexpectedly , everything was going well then your whole plan gets turned upside down .
Good luck with everything and I hope it all works out for you.

Last edited:
Another chapter opens friend, you'll be back on your feet in no time.
i wish you all the best!:grin:

Bill... When you and the wifey walk into that cool new place, it will reach out to you and it will feel like puttin' on a pair of old slippers.
Good luck on the future... Bill

Hope your search for a new shop, err, I mean home, goes well. We'll miss you here in CO, but home is where the machines, oops, heart is. All the best in your future adventures. Cheers, Mike

Best of luck Bill, I'm kinda in the same situation, except there real proud of the dirt here :eek: a gofer hole is 20k. Any thing closer to daughter in New Mexico perhaps , although Texas was good don't know much about Abilene or NM
Moving back closer to family can be a pain in the wallet.
Your a machinist ,do your move carefully get what matters

Hey dlane: We considered NM, but they tax everything. Even my SS when I can qualify to get it. I will try to get some gig doing something wherever we land, but I'm pretty certain that my career in the high-tech is toast. The youngsters of today are not interested in anyone who has designed real products and wants to work. They are more interested in 'flex hours', 'safe zones', and social media. ;)

I'm not a real machinist nor a CNC operator, but maybe I can find a shop that will let me sweep the floors or something. I was a master automotive technician for a while back in the day so maybe I can get a gig at a local auto parts store. I'm not familiar with the local laws in TX yet, but I am still considering hanging out a shingle as a pistolsmith if we land there or in AZ. I'll figure something out.

Living on a shoestring will be the new way of life I'm afraid. If you see an Old Guy rummaging around in a junkyard for scrap, don't shoot. It may be me. ;)

I'm not a real machinist nor a CNC operator, but maybe I can find a shop that will let me sweep the floors or something. I was a master automotive technician for a while back in the day so maybe I can get a gig at a local auto parts store. I'm not familiar with the local laws in TX yet, but I am still considering hanging out a shingle as a pistolsmith if we land there or in AZ. I'll figure something out.

Bill I think you have a lot more going for you than you are willing to admit. Right now you are still recovering from the shock of an unexpected layoff and the need to make an instant adjustment. That will resolve itself soon.

I know you are a machinist, I have seen your work. Would you be a good production machinist? Probably not, but that's not what you want to do anyway. You have a very wide skill set, maybe it's time to put all of that to work. Just based on your posts on H-M, this is what I see so far:
  • Mechanical
  • Electronics
  • Machining
  • Programming
  • Gunsmithing
  • Problem solving
That's a pretty good looking resume, it says ''Yeah, I can do that, now what's the question'' :encourage:. The fact that you already have machine tools is a real plus, but that is only one tool in the box. You have an opportunity and the skills to make some real money once you get settled in your new place. Working for someone else is making money for them, not you.

Have confidence in yourself, you can do it.:encourage:

Hey Jim,

Yea, you're right. But sometimes it's hard to appreciate the forest when you keep smacking your face into the trees. LOL...

Been very irritable with everyone of late, including my wife and she certainly doesn't deserve it. This is the second time in the last 20 years where I had a pretty good plan going and then Life comes in and kicks the apple cart over. Just getting a bit tired of this. :rolleyes:

Hey Bill, I have spent the last 8 years struggling in the Construction industry in AZ. We lost close to 300k construction jobs in the downturn. It is finally getting better, but I am still not making what I made 10 years ago. Just keep in mind that when one door closes another opens. It is difficult to put a value on age and experience, but I can tell you the I would take a grizzled old guy like us over a college educated millennial any day. I have two degrees so it is not the college part I object to. I will PM you my number give me a call when you hit town.

Back