Indexable Dovetail Cutter

Those look like 60 deg to me OldGoaly. Could be the camera angle, buy you might want to double check.

yep it's a 60!!!! worth the trip in the snow to figure it out. now to read up on what cuts 4140/truck axles best, I've only got about 8 of these, not real sure if they a p or n rake (dang tag is off the little package). I've got about 6 dies to make with dovetails. Thanks for the help guys! looks like my poor old B/P will get a work out ...again!
60degreeDT01.jpg

60degreeDT01.jpg

Those inserts are similar to the one I used. I'd cut the holder straight. The grooves give it plenty of positive and the sides should already be angled back for relief.

I set mine up so that the cutting face of the insert was on the centre line of the shaft. Above centre gives negative rake; below centre gives positive.

If I may ask, where did you find the dimensions for the inserts? I know 60° is 60° :biggrin: for these triangular inserts but having the size and thickness would be helpful.

Thanks much,

-Ron

P.S. Crud! Posted this to the wrong thread and couldn't delete.

Ron, I started by buying a couple of inserts at my local tool store, then building the holder around that. The step is offset to put the top of the insert on the centre line.

Back