Indicating Micrometer?

Anyone know anything about the VIS made in Poland?
VIS Poland is excellent made tools

as a side note, arguably they produced some of the finest pistols and rifles during the WW2 era, even while under occupation

I love using my snap gauges. Measuring deviation is exactly what they are for. The resolution is also very fine, 1um or .00004 (I have 0-1 and 1-2 in inch and mm flavors). It's not hard to come up with ways to use them once you have them in your drawer.

I have a couple of Marls before they moved to wherever . Indicators are .00005 deviation . Great for cylindrical grinding ops , which I don't do anymore .

Well I just realized I got to buy something as the mic I already have (Mitutoyo 193-201)only reads in .001" and I need .0001" . So it's a new standard mic or find a good used indicating mic. I see some VIS ones on Ebay but I'm not sure.

I also wonder if a surface comparator with a tenths indicator might work. One of those things that's basically a mini surface plate with an indicator holder sticking out of it. It would probably be fiddly as compared to an indicating mic, but it might also be cheaper.

I also wonder if a surface comparator with a tenths indicator might work. One of those things that's basically a mini surface plate with an indicator holder sticking out of it. It would probably be fiddly as compared to an indicating mic, but it might also be cheaper.
Someone mentioned that to me but the shank of the bullet isn't the same diameter the whole to the base as there is a pressure ring that is slightly larger right at the base. So I'm not sure if that would work ?

What is the diameter of these bullets ? Just curious .

If you have a small enough boring bar and the means to accurately measure inside diameters, why not make a drop-thru go/no go gauge on your lathe or mill? A 3/4” piece of round stock with a stepped through hole. Top step max diameter, deep enough so there’s no doubt if a bullet drops all the way in. Bottom step minimum diameter. If bullet drops all the way through, it’s too skinny. It won’t be adjustable like a snap gauge, but easy to make one for each caliber. And cheap. Although, it’s hard to pass up the opportunity to add another tool to the arsenal. ;)

Tom

For such a specific application it seems like it would be easy enough to make a bench top version.

this might work

Attachments

• federal.docx
    89.7 KB · Views: 21
Back