Is this a good deal? Logan 9" for 1000$

thread dial was an option, I had ordered one from Scott for my 9B. Also many machinists do not bother with them.

Walter

That close to Houston, it's hard to believe you haven't been able to find a nice lathe. I'd bet they just never get put up on CL. Should be tons of small toolroom lathes there.

I know of a SB (not sure of model) that will probably come up in a week or two, but have no idea of price. I have a feeling it will be cheap. I'll try to get some pics.

Otherwise, I tend to agree with the others....might be a nice lathe, might be full of sawdust. The paint does look good though.

Update

So I sent the following email to the seller:
There are a few things missing in the pics; The model# plate, the QC chart, and the threading dial (was it ever equipped with one?). Do you have any of these things? No biggie if not, but would be nice if they were included.

Are you willing to include any tooling?

If there is anything wrong at all with the lathe that you know of (ways excessively worn, etc. - anything at all), I would appreciate if you disclosed that now before we move forward.

Thanks,

And he replied with the following pictures:

20121031_073637_resized.jpg 20121031_073650-1_resized.jpg 20121031_073737_resized.jpg 20121031_075435_resized.jpg 20121031_075714_resized.jpg 20121031_075722_resized.jpg

Minimal tooling, at best, and no thread dial.
Did he just send the pics, with no text?

That gouge in the front way won't hurt anything. I'd probably fill it with JB Weld or similar and file it back down even just for cosmetics sake.
Otherwise I'd be fixating on it every time I walk by.

Biggest question in my mind: The guy has obviously spent a lot of care and time on it. I'd want to know why he's selling it after devoting all that to this machine. Is there a newer, nicer machine replacing it? Or did he find something wrong in the process that he knows he can't fix, and he can't get over? Maybe it's that big nick, maybe something else that he expects the buyer to find on his own.

Did he just send the pics, with no text?

The text was:
Here are a few more pics.

Paul

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone

I was hoping for more communication, but it's understandable I guess if sending from a phone. Maybe he intends to call me later. We will see.

Man, there is a LOT of very nice work in that lathe -- I have been there and done that!

You dont get to that point without complete, or near, tear down and hours cleaning, then re-assembly with the care to keep screw heads, knobs, etc from being painted. And I have to believe he repaired - he mentions bearings and bushings being replaced which are tear-down items - when he had it apart.

A thread dial can be either made or found - would be a non issue to me. The only minor downside to me is shortage of accessories, which is almost always the case with used machinery, and in my opinion the price is very fair.

Looks pretty good for the money, but I'm in a complete and utter wasteland when it comes to machinery. What passes for new these days makes that look really good.

I'd want to know why he's selling it after devoting all that to this machine.
A project like this can grab 100% of your attention and time, if you enjoy this sort of restoration, but you can forget, later, just how much effort you expended. Or maybe his situation changed: job, health, home, who knows. He may have responded to your ad, in preference to putting it on Craigslist himself and not having much control over who gets it (I know if I sold something like this, I'd like to be sure it wasn't going to a flipper).

I think you could do a lot worse. And it's no fun playing with the toys you didn't buy.

Well guys I've decided to take the plunge. I'm meeting the guy half way between here and there to pick up the lathe on sunday morning. I'll have my first lathe in 4 days. That is, unless I get there and find something glaringly wrong with it, which I doubt.

Back