Is this a good deal? Logan 9" for 1000$

Be keeping my fingers crossed --- Ive revisited this post and the pics a couple times and I still have a good feeling about it.... Good Luck!

Good for you. I bet you will do well with that lathe.

Be sure to share a follow-up report

I posted a want ad on Craigslist saying I want a lathe for <1000$. This guy who lives 255 miles from me sends me pictures of a super nice looking Logan 9", but for all I know, I'm looking at a polished turd. I've posted this question on another forum and gotten a myriad of responses from "get it now" to "I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole." Just curious what you guys have to say about it. I want to make sure it's on the up-and-up to the maximum extent possible, because it's going to cost me almost 200$ in gas money just to go lay hands on it. Even if I get there and see it in person, I probably won't know what I'm looking at, aside from obvious damage.

seller says:

Some bullet points sent in by users from the other forum:

Pros:
  • The shop looks clean and well maintaine
  • The lathe looks clean and well maintained
  • If it turns out to be crap, I can probably still sell it for what I paid for it
Cons:
  • expensive to get parts for it
  • doesn't come with any tooling
  • could be a polished turd
  • the obligatory "I can get lathes twice that good for half the price with truckloads of tooling included"
  • too small
  • under powered
  • no QC chart - this is a sign of other bad things

I have been searching craigslist and ebay for months and this is the best *looking* lathe for the money that I've seen within a 500 mile radius. Lathes are not as common around here as they are up north, and usually cost more.

Thanks for looking.
Hi,
This is an important event in an engineers life getting a new old lathe so take it steady and plan out your strategy.
Firstly it looks well done up, is this a cover up or is it a genuine restoration. If you really want this machine a do not want to buy a pig in a poke then find an engineering friend to go with you to inspect the machine to check it is up to scratch. If you haven't got an engineering friend then get a professional to step into this position. Most respectable engineers would do this for a couple of pints of beer and it's a day out. If all is OK says the engineer after a minimum half hour inspection then try beating the owner down picking up on any and every nick and scratch and if he won't drop his asking price then go for it as the price for a well kept, well maintained machine is well over what he is asking.
Good turning.
Smoky

Back