ISO Plans/Drawings for Casting Specialties Hacksaw Kit

JPar

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I acquired this kit of castings and parts to make a small power hacksaw. The kit was sold by a company called "Casting Specialties", located in Wisconsin. Casting Specialties was owned by a man named C. F. Struck. The C. F. Struck company is still in business, making small dozers and other equipment. I contacted them and they no longer sell or support the kits that were sold by Casting Specialties.

I think I have most of the parts, except for two sprockets and a pulley; I can buy or make those. What I'm in need of are the drawings and instructions that were provided with these kits. I'm hoping to find someone that still has these and would allow me to buy, borrow, or copy them.

Thanks,
John

MyKit1.jpg

Looks like a fun project. Love the pictures. Keep us updated on the progress

I seem to recall Mr Pete on YouTube going on about Struck. Can’t remember if he had kits or parts or both but it might be worth a try to contact him. I no longer watch his channel but I’m thinking there’d be a way to contact him through that. If I had to guess I’d say the video was about two or three years ago — maybe his videos are searchable?

Anyway, good luck.

-frank

C.F. Struck was active when I was in High school (grad class of 1963) Perhaps a saensce would be able to contact him. We had his kits available for machine shop projects, our teacher, Paul Goldberg was some sort of a cousin of his.

I seem to recall Mr Pete on YouTube going on about Struck. Can’t remember if he had kits or parts or both but it might be worth a try to contact him. I no longer watch his channel but I’m thinking there’d be a way to contact him through that. If I had to guess I’d say the video was about two or three years ago — maybe his videos are searchable?

Anyway, good luck.

-frank
Thanks. I found and watched Mr. Pete's video on the C. F. Struck company. He also has a video on making the vise (the two castings in the upper RH corner). He showed the plan (for just the vise) and I was able to grab a screenshot of it. He talked about the hacksaw, but didn't show anything more than what was in the catalog.

C.F. Struck was active when I was in High school (grad class of 1963) Perhaps a saensce would be able to contact him.
Ha ha, I think the word you're looking for is "séance". I already tried that, but no luck. :)

I can probably reverse engineer most of it, but it would be nice to know a few key things like the number of teeth on the sprockets, and the center-to-center distance of the shafts they are mounted on.

John

I reckon this will be a fun project to go maverick on dimensions and do what pleases you :)

I found this too:

I acquired this kit of castings and parts to make a small power hacksaw. The kit was sold by a company called "Casting Specialties", located in Wisconsin. Casting Specialties was owned by a man named C. F. Struck. The C. F. Struck company is still in business, making small dozers and other equipment. I contacted them and they no longer sell or support the kits that were sold by Casting Specialties.

I think I have most of the parts, except for two sprockets and a pulley; I can buy or make those. What I'm in need of are the drawings and instructions that were provided with these kits. I'm hoping to find someone that still has these and would allow me to buy, borrow, or copy them.

Thanks,
John

View attachment 364266

You probably already found this, but it has some photos of one assembled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks,
John

View attachment 364266

I'm new here. I ran across this forum, while looking for some information on stamping numbers for another project.

We built a bunch of these power saws in a college class, many years ago, and (being a packrat), I kept the original instructions.
They include a fixture to cut the gears, but chain and sprockets were also an option.
I've also scanned an article from a magazine, with a nice little stand for the saw.
I lost my saw in a fire, but found another in a pile of junk at an estate sale, recently.

The only issue I have encountered with using mine is finding 8" blades-I resorted to a carbide drill, and shortening 12" blades.
It's an interesting project, but painfully slow, compared to a portable bandsaw.
I am thinking about cleaning it up, and making a desk lamp out of it.

About 30 years ago, I contacted CF Struck, and inquired about the castings they used to offer. They told me they had sold off the casting business to a former employee. I contacted him,( this was before email), but I never got a reply.

Hopefully, this is helpful.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• phs.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 18
  • cs hacksaw.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
Back