[Newbie] Jwest7788 Beginner Machinist Questions Thread

Thanks!

Rest assured, no music when machining. about 1/5th of the shop is actually a lounge type setup (couches, bar fridge etc.) I'll probably need to reclaim that space at some time, but for now it's mighty convenient for when SHMBO goes to bed when the boys are over.

Will print off a chart, as I'm clearly in need, haha.

New issue i've noticed:

Can't turn the lathe to top speed without warming it up for awhile first, belt skips, motor stops and gets going again. That all normal?
--> Tightened the belt and all, but thinking it might need dressing?

Successfully threaded a rod into a tube! Will post pics shortly (just cause, and for advice lol).

My very first metal lathe project completed:
(I saw one of these selling online at one point, always had it in the back of my mind as something I wanted to make)

2015-04-24 17.38.43.jpg
A bolt and a nut!

The nut is actually just a misdirect though
2015-04-24 17.38.56.jpg

2015-04-24 17.39.14.jpg
Head of the bolt unscrews.

2015-04-24 17.39.28.jpg
Revealing hidden storage.

The misdirect nut is awesome, people just unscrew it and ask "so what?"

Would recommend as a beginner project to anyone else learning.
Skills used:
Cutting off the head and drilling out head of bolt #1
Rounding the head, facing to size, and drilling out bolt #2
Internal and external threading!

Looking forward to getting my hands on some metal stock to make some machinists jacks, a captive nut, and other newb projects.
I'm trying to think of some other basic projects. Any recommendations?

That is very cool, never seen one before. Congrats on completing you first project!!:clapping:

Sounds like you're making great progress. Nice work on the nut-n-bolt!

I think I failed to say it correctly in my last post to you. When I said, "Brazed carbide ... ??? ", what I meant was that I didn't know enough to have an opinion. I guess the "???" shoulda been "durndifino." Anyway, as I mentioned, few of the brazed carbides I've seen have refinements like chip breakers - especially the cheap ones! If I received a bunch of cheapos, I'd try one or two. If they worked OK, I'd keep 'em. If not, throw 'em at stray caribou or something ;~)

"Not sure if these have a more common name I am not aware of?" ... you were correct in your nomenclature.

Anyway, as I mentioned, few of the brazed carbides I've seen have refinements like chip breakers - especially the cheap ones! If I received a bunch of cheapos, I'd try one or two. If they worked OK, I'd keep 'em. If not, throw 'em at stray caribou or something ;~)

Cheap brazed carbide, IMHO, are definitely worth having on hand, and I'm sure knowledgable pros like Jim Dawson will agree with me. I use HSS almost exclusively (too cheap to buy those expensive carbide inserts and holders) but, thanks to Jim's informative posts, I've collected a number of the cheap brazed carbide tools from H.F. as well as Craig's list. I ALWAYS sharpen them before use on a cheap little diamond wheel from H.F., I actually get them quite sharp, but haven't had a problem with them chipping. Of course, as a newbee, and retired with plenty of time, I don't get too aggressive with the cuts. Most of the work I've turned in my vast machining experience (about 10 months), has been scrap steel of unknown type, ( Like big, very big, bolts) so if I have a problem with HSS getting dull quickly, (and I'm sure my speed isn't too fast) I put one of the "Cheap brazed carbide" tools in, and they've never let me down!! Oh, and I've even used a tiny diamond bit in a dremel to cut chip breakers in them. Happy machining, JR49

Back