Keyed Washer/spacer

I now have a hole and yes drilling and filing would have been faster but this is way cooler.
Some things I have found out is that it needs a better anti-rotation shaft, a forced dielectric stream to clear the debris, a larger sump and filter, better electrodes.
My porous brass one worked but did cause the odd hiccup and it burnt at the bottom edge producing a curve instead of burning straight through.
I need to experiment with reversing the polarity
I got this far and decided to file the remainder out now I know whats is going on.
hole-1.jpg
The remaining metal is not much more that foil thick so filed out in two mins.
The tab though is another matter in that the dismantling and re-building caused a miss-alignment of the electrode and an angled burn.
hole-2.jpg
This is the other side after a quick touch with the file to finish the tab.
It will work like this but another will be produced with no alignment problems and a burn completely through.

Couldn't someone with a waterjet cut out washers by the dozen for what it would cost to EDM out one?

Couldn't someone with a waterjet cut out washers by the dozen for what it would cost to EDM out one?

It depends on if you're paying for the waterjet and EDM machines or paying someone else to run them. This EDM system costs almost nothing to build and run.
Once the bugs are ironed out you have a set up that can make whatever shape you can make a cheap brass or copper electrode.
The advantage of doing it for fun as a hobby.
-brino

Bravo. Would drilling out most of the material first then using the EMD be faster & easier on it?

Hi Brino, cheap is the word. I dont have more than the cost of the resister, bridge rectifier and the wire for the coil. All the caps came from old tv sets and the steel is from the odd bits bin under the bench.
In total around $12.00.
Once the coil is tuned better I will spend a bit more (but not much) to beautify it as in everything inside the welder case, a better non rotating head.
So many jobs so little time.

Back