Lets see your garden !

Here's the garlic I just harvested. A large white variety and I think a German Red. About 3-1/2 dozen heads. Won't have to worry about vampires for a while! I don't plant that much, because well, the garden is small. Now have to see if I have some bean seeds.
PXL_20220712_180235035.jpg

Our garden is a total flop this year, has been for the past three years. We think we have a soil problem as our lot used to be a farm and we understand from neighbours that the previous owner used to dump used oil etc directly onto the ground :(
Maybe try inoculating the new plants roots with a garden mycorrhizal solution. I am going to try this next year to hopefully fight off some blight. Idea of it being the fungus helps the plant utilize the nutrients of the soil better, increasing the plants immune system (guess aspirin has same effect on nightshade plants). Same idea as the network of fungus that our forests rely on.

Nice garden(s)! I may steal a page from your book and try the OpenSprinkler PI for our roses.

That free fertilizer comes with a variety of weed seeds given the hay residue that gets mixed in. We've used several spreader loads of manure, to the point the soil is probably a bit hot and needs lime, but the clay here needs a good amount of organic matter to be decent soil. We've also added quite a bit of peat moss. I think we're on the right track but it'll take another year or two to get it settled in.
My friend introduced me to sea grass (for those that live near the ocean) seed free and thin enough to compost quickly.

How about flower gardens? My wife has done a great job of decorating (flowerscaping?) our new house.
Beautiful looking place you have , she did GREAT ! :encourage:

Commercial tomato cages are not very good. I like your idea. I need 5-6 foot cages to keep the tomatoes from flopping over. I seem to like indeterminate type tomatoes - the kind that keeps on growing. The cages you buy are too short and take up too much room to store. A fold up cage sounds great.
We mostly grow indeterminant types as well. When the determinants come on you really can get overwhelmed by all the fruit, while the other type sort of spreads things out more.

Here are some relevant photos showing a closeup of the "hinge" and my loop former:

Cage closeup.JPG

Loop bender.JPG

You can see that the cylinder part is pretty chewed up. One family we loaned this thing to used mesh made out of wire that looked like a miniature version of rebar and those corrugations are what really did it. But it looks to me like I probably used aluminum so there's an easy improvement to make. I have some 1/2" O-1 so I could really improve that part of it with a cylinder made out of hardened steel. The elevated flat plate confines the bend pretty good so I get a tight loop. The socket wrench drives the screw head on the other side of my angle bracket.

I hook the loops through the next panel and then close the loop with a hammer. It actually works better for us to NOT close the final set of loops, just hook them through the other panel when we install the cage. That way we can sort of wrap the cage around the tomato. We call 'em "tomato corsets" :)

We install the cage so the ends of the final set of loops are on the inside of the cage so they don't catch on clothes or body parts as we pass by.

My friend introduced me to sea grass (for those that live near the ocean) seed free and thin enough to compost quickly.
Salt marsh hay is also good. Won't germinate in normal soil. Unfortunately, even in Nashua it isn't easy to get, have to live near the sea coast.

As I promised, some flowers. My wife's domain. All drip irrigated. Some of the garden is more mature than others, primarily due to my sloth in irrigation installation in the back. Left out the rose arbor and the spring garden, because they are past season. I'll get pics next year!
PXL_20220712_181344845.jpgPXL_20220712_181405161.jpgPXL_20220712_181413894.jpgPXL_20220712_181445851.jpgPXL_20220712_181519603.jpgPXL_20220712_181529244.jpgPXL_20220712_181552378.jpg

Here you go...

Guava...

IMG_6731.jpeg

Pineapple...

IMG_6732.jpeg

Jobos, Blackberries, Blueberries...

IMG_6729.jpeg

IMG_6730.jpeg

Sweet potatoes

IMG_6720.jpeg

Malanga (Yautia) in the planter and to the left pigeon peas…

IMG_6719.jpeg

Cilantro, Basil, Peppers, Carrots, Parsley, Garlic, Recao, Cherry Tomatoes, Lemon Grass, Turmeric, Onions, there is more stuff in there ...

IMG_6721.jpeg

Passion fruit...

IMG_6724.jpeg

Front right to left... Avocado, Pink Grapefruit, Navel Oranges, Tangerines, Limes, Valencia Oranges.

IMG_6718.jpeg

And sometimes, when a mushroom pop-ups... we do this... lol

IMG_0718.jpeg

We still do not live here full time… so we lost a few plants to lack of attention or frigging wabbits…. Papaya die due to the cold, rabbits ate the squash, pumpkin, and cucumber plants…

9BC08F46-D0DA-4696-9ED2-76C0E104B5DA.jpeg

Last edited:
Here you go...

Guava...

View attachment 413568

Pineapple...

View attachment 413569

Jobos, Blackberries, Blueberries...

View attachment 413570

View attachment 413571

Sweet potatoes

View attachment 413572

Malanga (Yautia)

View attachment 413573

Cilantro, Basil, Peppers, Carrots, Parsley, Tomatoes...

View attachment 413574

Passion fruit...

View attachment 413575

Front right to left... Avocado, Pink Grapefruit, Navel Oranges, Tangerines, Limes, Valencia Oranges.

View attachment 413576

And sometimes, when a mushroom pop-ups... we do this... lol

View attachment 413577
It's a lot easier for you to grow citrus than for me! You can leave them in the ground. Very nice garden and yard.

Back