Lets see your garden !

For all veggie growers.
We call them spring onions or shallots, I think Americans call them scallions.
They are long, green leaves and the same dia from the root up.
Plant them as normal but when ready to harvest cut them off from 3\4" up from the root without up-rooting them.
They will continue growing and before too long can be harvested again.
It can be done over and over but I dont know the maximum number of times.

Buy the onions for your recipe then cut the bottom 3/4" with the roots and plant that.
Thats what I do.

Last edited:
For all veggie growers.
We call them spring onions or shallots, I think Americans call them scallions.
They are long, green leaves and the same dia from the root up.
Plant them as normal but when ready to harvest cut them off from 3\4" up from the root without up-rooting them.
They will continue growing and before too long can be harvested again.
It can be done over and over but I dont know the maximum number of times.
We have those planted as well!! And we do just that. We started planting them last year.

Here you go...

Guava...

View attachment 413568

Pineapple...

View attachment 413569

Jobos, Blackberries, Blueberries...

View attachment 413570

View attachment 413571

Sweet potatoes

View attachment 413572

Malanga (Yautia) in the planter and to the left pigeon peas…

View attachment 413573

Cilantro, Basil, Peppers, Carrots, Parsley, Garlic, Recao, Cherry Tomatoes, Lemon Grass, Turmeric, Onions, there is more stuff in there ...

View attachment 413574

Passion fruit...

View attachment 413575

Front right to left... Avocado, Pink Grapefruit, Navel Oranges, Tangerines, Limes, Valencia Oranges.

View attachment 413576

And sometimes, when a mushroom pop-ups... we do this... lol

View attachment 413577

We still do not live here full time… so we lost a few plants to lack of attention or frigging wabbits…. Papaya die due to the cold, rabbits ate the squash, pumpkin, and cucumber plants…

View attachment 413579
Do your citrus trees grow stupidly? Or are mine just "special"? I find my navel orange and lime like to grow and criss cross branches all the time. Keeps me busy pruning all the time. Don't want the branches to tangle up, especially with all their thorns.

Do your citrus trees grow stupidly? Or are mine just "special"? I find my navel orange and lime like to grow and criss cross branches all the time. Keeps me busy pruning all the time. Don't want the branches to tangle up, especially with all their thorns.
In Orlando, yes... In Ocala (where that new house is, photos shared) not so much... I dug a 3' deep hole and about 2-3' wide... dropped some pit moss, good soil, and planted those... They have been slooooooooow to grow... I blame the cold winter (for Florida anyway, don't laugh! ) we had... burned everything even after making domes and covering them...

So I hope they do better this year... Oh, and in the front of the house we planted a cherry tree... and where I used to have the guava tree, (forgot to call it out), there is now an olive tree... We planted a new guava tree on that big pot on wheels you see in the lanai. That way we can move it during the cold weather.

We are trying to switch some of the stuff for plants that fair better in cold weather... So maybe we also get a peach tree this year as well.

Now... the June Plums (Jobos)... I had that on a bucket for almost 15 years and it looked like a bonsai, never gave fruit... the minute I planted that in Ocala, it just exploded... Grew like crazy and we had hundreds for Jobos to eat last year... Again, cold weather burned it, but luckily it survived and coming back strong again...

Blackberries have been amazing... we pick them ripe every morning... only two plants as of a few months back. They were doing so good that we decided to plant another one...

My best producer at the moment is an egg plant bush, its gone gangbusters.
Trouble is I'm not that fond of them except as teriyaki style.

My best producer at the moment is an egg plant bush, its gone gangbusters.
Trouble is I'm not that fond of them except as teriyaki style.
Oh man... three things I really do not like... Broccoli, beets, and egg plant... :p.

Meant to post these pics a long time ago in response to a back-and-forth on another thread with BGHansen, but 'life' got in the way (sorry, Bruce). When I got to the age where it was no longer safe to train young horses, we converted the arena to the garden. It's very close to the size of a football field. There are eight raised beds, four vines in two other beds, several fruit trees, a green house and chicken house. We got a couple of tractor-trailer loads of large stones to build the beds. I built the first two by myself (along with a little help from a tractor and skid loader). The garden is laid out in a perfect symmetrical pattern. There are irrigation systems for both the lawn and each bed. We found an ancient porcelain sink at an antique sale, and I made the cabinet below it out of square tubing and 1/8" plate (it ain't going nowhere). The chicken house is completely wrapped - top, bottom, sides - with 1/2" heavy-gauge screen sheathing to keep out rodents and snakes. The large stone in the middle is called a 'standing stone'. It's a little over 13' long. About 6-1/2' and two-thirds of the weight are underground, and it's placed dead-center in the garden. My wife and I erected it ourselves (with some help from the backhoe). It came from my Uncle's farm who was very much like a father to me in my early years.

Can't begin to relay everything that's in that garden, but when we raised our own beef, there were many times when everything on the dinner table except the salt and pepper was grown on the farm. And that includes the well water. My wife is a certified, card-carrying Master Gardener. I eat like royalty.

Regards

IMG_2208.jpgIMG_2209.jpgIMG_0446.jpg

Back