Lets see your garden !

Pulled the bulk of the garlic today — looks pretty good! This is hardneck “music” variety, something I’ve not tried before. I’m pretty pleased with these bulbs, the largest are about 3” diameter and feel solid. I brought up the Transylvanian already a couple weeks ago and they’re a smaller, smoother bulb but still okay. Five more Russian Reds still in the ground but they’ll be done in a couple weeks by the looks of them. Hot here today — 32C in the shade — so they’ll like that!

-frank
IMG_9627.jpeg
IMG_9628.jpeg

So far .....................................zuchinni , peppers and string beans and cukes by the tons . I'll eat everything but the zukes .Tomatoes are getting large but not ready yet . Have a pumpkin plant that is growing outside of the garden also . Things are looking great with all the rain we're getting . :encourage:

Been colder (about 5F colder) and wetter (+1.25") than normal here for well over a month. No cukes, but have flowers. No tomatoes yet, but there's flowers. Beans aren't doing much right now. Really been an off season here. JUne bugs been eating my broccoli. One of the poorest growing seasons here in the past 30 years. Weather was weird last year too. It was 40F and raining on Memorial Day, and maybe 60F and raining on July 4. Got better later on though. Hope this year gets better...

Here's a photo of this year's garden. We aren't harvesting any tomatoes or peppers yet but hopefully soon. Cukes pretty soon, too. Lots of leaf veggies, zucchinis, turnips, radishes. The broccoli and cauliflower probably are about a month out. Enough basil for a small batch of pesto. The peas are finishing up and our green bean vines should be producing in 1-2 weeks.

Our spring was on the cool and rainy side so the garden is a bit behind compared to a "normal" summer. Whatever that is, these days....

Garden 2023.JPG

Spent some time weeding today...

Everything is full circle.

Leaves from trees go on top in fall, tilled in at late winter.

Grass clippings between rows makes a carpet pad for blocking some weeds and good for mellows.

Tomatoes almost ready, many types of mellons as well.

Blueberries and strawberries did very well this year, set out chandler and Sequoia, Sequoia growing like weeds while the Chandlers just surviving.

Other hobby is the control system, keeps us busy...
b405a7c90bf158681f30c552d0ce22bb.jpg
fde9e5de8b74f8d4ac7758cc6443d6b6.jpg
e199ee5eef9075124063bda66e704acd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I am on the road, so no pics. had the earliest sweet corn ever this year. First planting was on raised beds and under remay row covers. We had an early warm spell to germinate it and very lucky not enough frost to kill it under the remay cover. We plant sweet corn about ten times, every time a planting comes up, plant some more. We will put some in again about July 12 and again July 18. Last planting has maybe 10% chance of not being killed by fall frost.

OK, now the downside. The friggen 'coons got into it the day before we were set to leave for a camping trip. We normally have until July 15 to worry about them. For those that do not know, they will DESTROY sweet corn corn two days before you will eat it. Tear down every single stalk.

OK, been there before. The coons are thick in our area as no one ever hunts them anymore. We put three inch AL irrgiation pipe around the entire patch Then three rows of electric fence wire, 2" above the pipe, then 4" more, then 6" more. Now once they get the taste even this might not stop them. So i went to work removing all the weeds for the rest of the fence line and got the Parmac fencer up to 13,000 volts. FYI, cheap fencers put out 4,000.

Finally, put some fly bait mixed with Coca-cola in small yogurt cups out. They will eat this and walk maybe fifty feet before keeling over. Its mean, but got to defend my corn. Got a couple first night, none second night. So, the critter that had the taste for my corn is gone. Now, no more need for poison.

I will find out Wed. night if the patch has been protected.

@Karl_T, your dedication to protecting your sweet corn is truly impressive! It's always a battle with nature's critters, especially those pesky raccoons. Your electric fence setup sounds like it should do the trick, and I hope your patch remains protected.

Back