Link belt drives

Not enough room in the cabinet to install this type of belt for driving the spindel. It will work for the lower belt on the next shaft down.

I believe orietation is important although I have run them backwards. Probably more important with pot metal or AL pulleys as link belts are hard on them. I have a couple of machines that it is a pain to put an endless belt on and limit my usage to those or to fractional HP applications. I see no advantage to them over VX belts and certainly not as a replacement for B belts on 5-10 hp motors. Dave

I see no advantage to them over VX belts and certainly not as a replacement for B belts on 5-10 hp motors. Dave
Mine were installed on my 5hp sander. Time will tell how they perform; I consider it a $100 experiment.

The direction cue is "the tails follow," so that's simple. Direction might change the slip torque and does impact the noise made by the belt. They are a lot thicker than normal V-belts, so the interference issue makes sense. I ran them on my Atlas without issue for 3 years (ZAMAK pot metal) with no visible wear issues. A 3/4 hp lathe isn't what I would call a heavy duty application, so I can't speak as to whether the link belt performs like a normal belt under anything other than the light conditions on the Atlas. It was nice to be able to break and join the belt instead of pulling the spindle to change one.

I do know that the facilities/public works on base here like using link belts very much on pumps and HVAC systems. Part of that is one size fits vs. needing inventory, the other is easy install, but the take-home is that if they had a problem with them, they wouldn't be using them at all.

Back