Liquid Sandpaper

For roughing the high spots and loose paint I like those sanding sponges, especially for small projects.

I like sanding sponges too. For my most used grits, I also cut a sheet in half, spray some glue on it and make a permanent fold the size of a quarter sheet.

I would think that just a rubbing with one of those scotchbrite pads would be good.I would use the old texture to help with the new texture.Rustoleum is great for hiding little flaws by having alittle texture

+1 on the scotchbrite
sanding with a sandingpaper will not give the best surface for painting on a textured old surface
the paper will only hit the tops while the scotchbrite will also hit the bottoms

Have you looked into Ospho / Phospho? It is a must on rusted surfaces, but have used it with success on pre-primed surfaces. Clean off the surface, paint this on it (it's an acid mix if I remember correctly), let it dry, and then clean off any loose powder/scaling/dusty paint left from the Phospho working. Paint sticks great after this treatment. Can't say I've used it over enamel, but I think it would work. May be worth looking into.

Also, you may want to look into Hammerite paint. It's made by the same people who make Kilz primers. A bit pricey for larger projects, and can take a long time to FULLY cure, but is about the hardest, best-sticking paint I've ever used. Beats Rustoleum in every application I've tried. It comes in hammered and gloss finishes.

I have used Liquid Sandpaper. Of course it is not sandpaper, it is just a deglosser. The same result can be achieved with TSP or its modern replacement which is just a VERY strong detergent. If you want a really good finish over an already good finish I suggest light hand sanding with 220 to actually cut the existing finish, then use a primer recommended for your finish. I f you are brushing it on try to get it tinted close to the finish color.
All paints gone on best over a primer.
If you don't know what the existing finish is, find out so that you can use a compatible primer.
THE FINISH IS IN THE PREP, NOT THE PAINT.
Try a test and then you are sure of the result and avoid the drama.

Back