Looking at an RF 30 tomorrow...any advice appreciated

daveghil

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
HI all...new to machining, have a small 6" lathe, and looking for a hobby mill. An RF 30 came up that I will be looking at tomorrow. Is this a good machine for a beginner? Was thinking about something from Little Machine shop with built in DRO but this is quite a bit less expensive ($1K). Any things I should be careful to inspect? Reasonable price? He is offering some tooling etc for another $300. Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• 423652060_7216650881703635_9220884215087770162_n.jpg
    423652060_7216650881703635_9220884215087770162_n.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 58
Looks good
Check bedways and spline the rest can be repaired or replaced and low cost and easy to find.

Dave

Looks good
Check bedways and spline the rest can be repaired or replaced and low cost and easy to find.

Dave
Will do...and to be sure...I'm familiar with a spline on a drill press...I've restored a couple...assume this is the same mechanism for the quill?

I started out with one and not really found something better for my use. If it’s not been too abused it will serve you well. Being a round column mill you have think ahead about height changes because you will lose registration. Depending on what he’s got for tooling it might be a good deal to buy it from him. It’s very easy to pay way more for tooling than what you paid for the mill.

HI all...new to machining, have a small 6" lathe, and looking for a hobby mill. An RF 30 came up that I will be looking at tomorrow. Is this a good machine for a beginner? Was thinking about something from Little Machine shop with built in DRO but this is quite a bit less expensive ($1K). Any things I should be careful to inspect? Reasonable price? He is offering some tooling etc for another $300. Thanks in advance...
I'm not a trained machinist, though I did operate mills and lathes as about 10% of my duties in a couple places I worked over a 25 year span. Plus one quarter of Machine Shop at community college. Just so you know how much weight to put on my opinion — not much! But I have the exact same mill (branded as Enco) and I really like it. I previously used knee-mills including a Bridgeport, so I'm very aware of the limitations and annoyances of one of these, but given my space and budget constraints, I don't think I could have done much better.

Grab it quick, because stories of losing a machine from being too slow are pretty common around here.

I stongly advise you to take it apart before using it at all. Clean everything, inspect, replace bearings if necessary (probably won't be), regrease, oil the ways, adjust the gibs, and when you're done it might even be better than new. Lots of these were bought by hobbyists and got low "miles". But the teardown/rebuild will not only make it work better and last longer, but more importantly it'll teach you about it, better than any user manual or youtube. I had to take mine apart to carry it downstairs to the basement where it lives, but I'm glad I did especially for the knowledge. OK I'll admit there's something to be said for "just use it", if mill-rebuilding isn't your idea of fun. Don't let worrying about a rebuild keep you from buying it. Just, as a bare minimum, lube everywhere before using it at all.

Speaking of youtube, I've lost track of how many videos there are about this specific mill, probably dozens. Search for "Mill-Drill" and "round column mill" as well as Rong-Fu. Start with a couple that walk you through the whole teardown-rebuild. Let me know if you can't find them, I have some saved in my "Watch Later".

Hope you have a lot of fun with it.

Appears to be in a state that you can run it. Fire it up and if no strange sounds and all axis move I’d pick it up.

$1000 is a reasonable price and $300 won’t get you very far in accessories so probably worthwhile.

I had one for a while and they are very capable machines. Way more stout than a mini mill.

John

Check the fit of the quill in the head- that's the one thing that can really suck if it's loose and wiggly, just like on a drill press- no easy fix
It's probably wired for 110 volts but for serious heavy work you want to wire it for 220v. Help available here if you need it

Last edited:
I'm not a trained machinist, though I did operate mills and lathes as about 10% of my duties in a couple places I worked over a 25 year span. Plus one quarter of Machine Shop at community college. Just so you know how much weight to put on my opinion — not much! But I have the exact same mill (branded as Enco) and I really like it. I previously used knee-mills including a Bridgeport, so I'm very aware of the limitations and annoyances of one of these, but given my space and budget constraints, I don't think I could have done much better.

Grab it quick, because stories of losing a machine from being too slow are pretty common around here.

I stongly advise you to take it apart before using it at all. Clean everything, inspect, replace bearings if necessary (probably won't be), regrease, oil the ways, adjust the gibs, and when you're done it might even be better than new. Lots of these were bought by hobbyists and got low "miles". But the teardown/rebuild will not only make it work better and last longer, but more importantly it'll teach you about it, better than any user manual or youtube. I had to take mine apart to carry it downstairs to the basement where it lives, but I'm glad I did especially for the knowledge. OK I'll admit there's something to be said for "just use it", if mill-rebuilding isn't your idea of fun. Don't let worrying about a rebuild keep you from buying it. Just, as a bare minimum, lube everywhere before using it at all.

Speaking of youtube, I've lost track of how many videos there are about this specific mill, probably dozens. Search for "Mill-Drill" and "round column mill" as well as Rong-Fu. Start with a couple that walk you through the whole teardown-rebuild. Let me know if you can't find them, I have some saved in my "Watch Later".

Hope you have a lot of fun with it.
I appreciate hearing about your experience. Funny thing is that I actually enjoy rescuing and restoring learning about old tools and machines…building quite a collection of old belts and bearings for posterity :)….problem is that I haven’t been able to part with machines I don’t need or are duplicates.

I have one as well as a Bridgeport my RF31 is a CNC mill and works well

Get the tools that he is offering unless you feel it is not worth the money. Likely things you need and lower than new cost. Ask him to throw in all the tools he can.

It is a simple machine and will clean up easily for you if needed.

Check the fit of the quill in the head- that's the one thing that can really suck if it's loose and wiggly, just like on a drill press- no easy fix
It's probably wired for 110 volts but for serious heavy work you want to wire it for 220v. Help available here if you need it
will do. Been chasing runout on my drill presses…even cut a new JT 33 taper on the spindle for a 13” craftsman…helped but not perfect. 220 sounds like a good plan…kinda hoping it will be 3 phase…so I can try out a vfd. been messing around with free treadmill motors and anxious to try this method now.

Back