M$oft did it again HATE W11

My primary PC is, and has been, Linux (Kubuntu) for quite a few years. I have a Win (10) PC that exists only for CAD, though since I have it it has a few other Win-only bits of software on it. I have no plan to ever go to Win11.

Depending on what you do with MS Office, LibreOffice is a free and mostly compatible office suit for Windows, Linux, and (I think) Mac. The only compatibility issues I've seen are with Excel macros and fancier functions like pivot tables. Oh, and it's not in "the Cloud" <- read "somebody else's computer.

GsT

After 25 years in IT and over 20 of them at a Fortune 100 company, the way Microsoft changes the interface of Windows and Office was a big gripe of mine. It resulted in lots of unnecessary time spent helping users find some simple setting that they had been using for years. The wasted man hours across the entire Microsoft customer base is incalculable. Why? What did it accomplish to change the location of commonly used tools? It was done just because they could with decisions made by programmers that had intimate familiarity of every aspect of the software and not the end users. End users of computers are rarely computer people. The computer is just an interface for them to do their job. It was equally frustrating for me to have to learn where configuration settings had been moved that I needed for networking and other system settings. Sometimes a function was eliminated and required an add-on to make it show up again.

I have a very nice older laptop that is difficult to replace and still have the same features. It has two 2.5" hard drive bays plus an onboard socket for an SSD HDD, a quad core i7 processor, Nvidia video and an onboard CD/DVD burner drive. I don't want a different computer but this one will be made obsolete in time. Linux may be in my future.

Lifespan lengthened by use of Linux, as yet undetermined. It could be indefinite prolongation

We kicked Bill to the curb about 20 years back. Been using linux/Ubuntu ever since EXCEPT for one thing: tax-preparation S/W. I have the original Win10 HD the laptop came with sitting in a drawer when I need it, but other than that one particular app......naah.

I do use a few S/W tools that were written for Windows, but Wine -- a windows emulator -- handles most of them OK. Unfortunately, TurboTax is one that won't run under Wine. I haven't tried using the virtual machine approach yet but may be forced to, once TT stops running under Win10.

Our transition to linux was a happy accident. Our computer's motherboard failed (due to a defective $.50 fan) and I wanted to get the data on the hard disk. I loaded up Ubuntu on a separate computer, then plugged in the old HD and mounted it -- all the data was there, huzzah. Then I noticed that Ubuntu was pretty user-friendly. It figured out all the computer H/W and just worked. Libre Office filled in for Word and Excel. So we started using it and never went back.

My latest YEAH! moment was related to replacing the fuser unit in our laser printer. It keeps track of the usage on all its components so I needed to reset the counter for the fuser. The vendor doesn't have any maintenance S/W that runs under linux but I did find some PCL macros that were supposed to do the job -- if they were correctly sent to the printer. A linux command-line utility did the job just fine. It's called "netcat" and can be used for quite a few other network related things.

Wow. Lots of Windows hate.
If you want to hate a software platform, try Solidworks 3D Experience. It is an experience...
But, therein lies the problem. Will Solidworks run on Linux? Probably not. Will I put up with a dual boot? Nope.

Set my work desktop up as a dual boot computer when Win95 was current. Made the mistake of saving data in both the ‘95 and NT partitions. When NT choked every in that partition was lost. That was a mistake never repeated.

Been working with windows since Win 1.1. While I am not a fan of new GUI changes, I have found over the years that it does not take me very long to get used to the new layouts. I ran Ubuntu many years ago but at the time, was not impressed enough to want to switch. I maintain 6 systems in my household and it is more important to me to keep them all on the same OS version than whether it is Win10 or 11. Of course this is a problem right now because Win11 will not run on even slightly older hardware due to the new security requirements. However, It is not that big of a deal and I will eventually replace the mainboard on that computer anyway.

My Lenovo laptop will not run 11... and I really don't want it now. I have a licensed copy of Office, and I don't want to license another copy at their prices, and have to use the web to run it these days.

Similarly here the laptop (Lenovo with Intel Core I5 and Office) will not update to W11.

And just a day ago, the system performed another W10 auto updates after a few days of requesting an after hours restart.

Similarly here the laptop (Lenovo with Intel Core I5 and Office) will not update to W11.

And just a day ago, the system performed another W10 auto updates after a few days of requesting an after hours restart.
I had 2 back to back updates. I guess it needed the first, before it could get the second done.

Back