Making a gingery style shaper

I didn't even think anything like that with the picture I just tried to delete it but can't find a way is there any way a moderator can delete it for me?

I didn't even think anything like that with the picture I just tried to delete it but can't find a way is there any way a moderator can delete it for me?

Deleted

Jim Dawson got there before me, it's gone. Thanx Jim.

"Billy G"

[SUB]I didn't get much time today to work on the shaper just started cutting the steel for the rest of the bull gear and had to start turning the face of the gear flat. I had been worried the gear would be to hard to cut with hs tools but it seems to be unhardend steel which I can cut on the 109 just slowly. [/SUB]

I started casting by just reading stuff on the web and then I built a small furnace at the same time as my 5 gallon bucket sized furnace the small one is only maybe 8"x8" and fired it with a standard propane torch. I used it to learn some basic casting skills by using a small stainless steel pipe for a crucible and melted a handful of zinc pennies at a time. I actually learned a good amount and it was a much safer way to get used to it. The most important thing when casting is to be safe I'm still a little scared of a big pot of molten aluminum. But I think it's safe enough when done correctly and it's the best way to make parts that may otherwise be impossible in a hobby setting. I've never even seen a shaper besides pictures so ill be learning as I go it seems easy enough to operate I'm sure I can find some videos that show how its done

yeah, sorry, I didn't want to detract from your project, but I'm also pretty sensitive about things like that with my own kids

It wasn't just that i had brought them to a flea market Sunday morning and one of the vendors told me his wife saw some guy taking pictures of them while my back was turned.

Didn't have much time to work on the shaper again this week. I finished turning down the face of the gear and cut two spacers for the bull gear clamp to sit on but that's about it. Hopefully more time next week. I did find some oillite bushings for it at a flea market for 50cents each so that saved a few dollars and the time to go and buy them.

I'm trying g to load some pictures from today but my computer seems to be a little slow right now so I'll try to get them loaded later tonight. I finished the bull gears t slot today and then I tried to bore out the gear that will drive the bull gear. The gears are metric and I'm using standard material so I need to either make a bushing to adapt the gears or cut the gears to standard dimensions. For the bull gear I made a bushing but I wanted to bore the drive gear. I was worried when I started the gears would be hardened and be difficult if even possible to cut. I was able to face both sides of the bull gear so I thought I would be able to cut the drive gear. I didn't even test the drive gear with a file before I tried boring it with a hs boring tool so I started the cut and quickly rubbed the tip off my tool. So than I was able to scratch it with a file and decided I would try with carbide. I had to grind a brazed carbide tool to fit and then I tried the cut and it started the cut and was instantly dull. I had managed to enlarge the bore about .010 for about a quarter of the gear. So I put the gear aside and started working on the yoke instead. I got the yoke put together without any problems I just need to install the bushings in each end. I need to decide what I'm going to do with the drive gear. I can try annealing the gear and continue as I planned. I also considered cutting the end of the shaft to fit the gear but I would then have problems attaching the gear as it would still be to hard to drill for a set screw or cut a key way. I also considered grinding the gears bore in my lathe but I would have the same problem of attaching the gear to the shaft. I think I will try throwing the gear in my melting furnace tomorrow and then continue as I planned.

Back