Making a gingery style shaper

some pictures i had uploaded before but a few posts are missing guess they may have been lost in the crash. The yoke is done except for the bushings that will wait until I can figure out the sizes I need to change from changing the original design. I wanted to make the sliding block but the only material I had large enough was a piece of 1.375 round so I put it in the 4 jaw and started cutting. I kept cutting till I had a square block. Then it was time for the bearing support. I made it from 2 pieces because I had a piece of scrap that looked right for it. I attached the two pieces with 8 1/4 20 screws. My kids wanted to help so I gave them markets and they colored it for lay out.

ephone 091.JPG ephone 082.JPG edphone 234.JPG edphone 236.JPG edphone 238.JPG

Last edited:
im just putting some new pictures in of how im boring the bearing support for the bearings. using a bar i had to make and boring in place. The boring bar rides in bronze bushes on both sides of the column I will add bushes to the first side I bore to support the second side. I had to use this method as I have no mill and my lathe is too small to fit it. I started with a .5 bore through the bearing support and column as that's the biggest drill I have that I had a bushing to fit. I bored through the column side and am into the support but my battery died. And I'm late for a wedding but just had to try out the boring setup.

ephone 010.JPG ephone 012.JPG ephone 015.JPG ephone 016.JPG

Last edited:
I didn't plan ahead too much when building any of the shaper. I started with a plan then changed it some to use materials I have or can get. This is always open to changes and I have not even planned how to build some parts yet. This can cause some problems. In the process of cutting with the boring bar I realized I had no way to test the bushing's fit in the bore without upsetting the cutters depth. I have only been roughing the bore at this point so its not critical yet but I will need to make a tool to measure the cutter depth prior to changing it for the finish cut. I can measure the bore without disturbing the cutter but will still need to reset the cutter for the final cut. I saw a tool in the gingery lathe book for boring the headstock which will work for what I'm doing so ill have to build one before I can finish the bore.

I found an old micrometer with the anvil cut off at my work and made a new anvil to fit the boring bars radius i didnt get around to attaching it because i figured i could do without it. I finished the bore for one bushing and fit the bushing. Turns out I didn't need to measure the bore or boring bar I just cut then adjusted the cutter out a tiny bit and recut till I had a nice press fit.

I'm looking forward to seeing this run. Thanks for taking the time to post your progress.

Dave

I look forward to seeing the rest of this project.
I have cast all the parts for the Gingery lathe, bed scraped and ways bolted and scraped.
Then bought an asian 9x20 so the Gingery has lain there half finished gathering dust for a couple of years.
The shaper was going to be the next project after the lathe but so many projects are on the list now so I cant see that happening soon.
If anyone wants my castings they can be picked up for free but I have no interest in posting them (very expensive in australia)

I hope to see it running soon myself I have a habit of not finishing projects because I get an idea for something else or if I have a problem with the build. But I'm making progress so I may finish it in a few more months. It's starting to look like a machine now which helps keep me going.

Don't know how I missed this. Anyway, nice build so far. I'd like to build a small hand operated shaper in the future.

i started on the feed crank i made it from two pieces again to use material i had. I had a few disks with .375 dia holes in the center i used one for the feed crank. Two others will be used for the yoke supports so i drilled them all out to .5 dia. I needed a 3.125 disk for the feed crank but didnt have any round stock that big so i used a piece of half inch thick bar stock and cut a larger disk on the bandsaw. I used a fine tooth blade but should have switched to a coarser blade but it cut quickly just loaded the blade some. I attached that to the smaller disk with 2 counterbored 1/4-20 screws to hide the heads. After that I bored it to .750 to fit the shaft and put a .250 hole through to take a 1/4-20 screw to attach it to the shaft. I decided to cut the slot in the feed crank with my lathe and an end mill. i had to drill my tool post for another 1/4-20 screw to hold the crank for milling. Since i dont have a mill i dont have much in the way of end mills but i had a 1/4'' dia and used that. I had just enough room to mill the slot but had to use the compound and cross feed to get enough travel. After cutting the slot to.250 I offset the end mill in the 4 jaw and cut it to .312 it just happened to come out to that size i didnt try to set it to any size in particular. i think i will end up using a file or saw to open it up further. I still need to fit the plates for the t-nut as well. The shaft was drilled and tapped for the 1/4-20 screw. I ended up using a .007 washer to set the end play as it was a little too tight. Next up after finishing the crank will be the ram I need to figure out what material to use and how to build it.

ephone 515.JPG ephone 517.JPG ephone 519.JPG ephone 521.JPG

I had a few hours today to work on my shaper. I haven't gotten much done I started on the down feed screw. For some reason Gingery recommends starting with .750 rod and turning it down to .625 at the max and the majority of it .375 and .437 which is a lot of metal to remove on a small lathe. I started with a .630 piece of cold rolled steel I'm not sure what alloy I would guess 1018. I center drilled it on my drill press then chucked it in the 4 jaw and centered it and got it within a few thousandths. Then I took a light skim to check everything was straight and would leave me with the .625 collar. Then it was time to cut down the first side to .437. It took about 2 hours to get that done and by that point my feet were numb from standing on the freezing concrete and so I called it a day.

Back