Melting lead shennanigans

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This little adventure was all my own doing. About now, @RJSakowski will be LOL I think!
Lead melts easily, but the business of getting a chunk that is round, reasonably conveniently done, without making a smokey mess can be a bit challenging. I reasoned that the cut-off half of a 66mm diameter steel spray can that once kept Wynn's "Viscotene" tenacious adhesive lubricant would do.
Stage 1. Burn up the can.
This was to leave the can one evening in the woodburner, to get the surface as oxidized, and dirty messed up as possible, so that the lead would not stick to it.

Stage 2. Cut up the lead, and pack the can.

Lead Melt3.jpg

Stage 3. Leave it in the woodburner to melt.
This part of the plan was to duck all the hard parts, and simply put the right weight of lead in the can, and stand it amid the logs in the woodburner.
Here is where things got a bit awkward. The whole can got red hot, as did the lead in it. I could "see" the level of where the lead was from the outside, because the thinner can at the top was brighter red. It was all very "floppy" and "squishy". No way could I pick it up with the tongs.

I did throw a couple of cm of candle in. That stuff is a hell of a fuel in a woodburner. It flames up everything! I did not have good top access to stir, and even with leather welding glove, to hot to put one's hand in there. It was difficult to be in front of it with the doors open! I managed to dunk it a bit with the end of the poker.

Stage 4. No choice now! Let nature take it's course. It has to solidify sometime.
Yeah - I know! This is strictly amateur hour and all those experts who casually cast perfect bullets are either laughing or cringing.

Lead Melt1.jpg

I just checked, and the stuff is still all liquid. Maybe melting stuff needs a can thick enough to remain solid, and not flex all over the place when you try to pick it up. When I get it cooled, and out, of there, I will post about what happened, even if it was a total screw-up!

Last edited:
If there is a next time, punch two holes near the top on a diameter and fashion a handle for your bucket from a piece of coat hanger or similar wire. Then you can lift the bucket out with your poker and set it on the hearth to cool.

I used to melt wheel weights to make semi wadd cutters for my 357. I took a 4" dia. pipe nipple welded a bottom on it. added a rod with a piece of wood for the handle made a pour spout on one side and used a Colemen stove for the heat source. worked great.

I used a saucepan (not the wife's) on the camping stove, then poured it onto a dog food can. This was for making counter balance weights for my drill press table though, not for subsequent machining

I'm a real wimp, I guess, I bought a lead pot (or several of them) and an assortment of ladles from tiny for bullet casting and large for babbit work, a propane torch supplies the heat, My biggest pot is 12" diameter and about 10" deep, heat is from a plumber's lead pot burner., the pot is steel with angle iron legs so the pot is at a convenient working level, it has melted a LOT of wheel weights ---

I'm a real wimp, I guess, I bought a lead pot (or several of them) and an assortment of ladles from tiny for bullet casting and large for babbit work, a propane torch supplies the heat, My biggest pot is 12" diameter and about 10" deep, heat is from a plumber's lead pot burner., the pot is steel with angle iron legs so the pot is at a convenient working level, it has melted a LOT of wheel weights ---
12" anything, whatever it be - is definitely not wimp!

Oh this brings back memories.
When I was around 12 years old too far away to admit to my mate and I used to go scrabbling accross the shed roofs removing the what we thought was lead squares (I believe later we found they were zinc) from under the nail heads holding the corrugated asbestos down.
These were melted down in a tobacco tin on a primus camping stove and cast into lead half crowns.
These lead half crowns were accepted in cigarette machines at that time the results of which were then sold in school at 2d each to all the idiots that wanted them. (I have never smoked and could never understand why anyone would want to)
This escapade lasted for about 3 months before the ciggy machines suddenly stopped accepting our counterfeit cash.
Oh happy days.

I used a Dutch oven (cheap one) to melt lead for kart racing weights.

Happy to not be doing that anymore.

John

Back