Mill Question; Time to buy my first one

I might add that you don't necessarily have to limit yourself to single-phase motors as you can get a VFD (variable frequency drive) for a reasonable price or build your own RPC (rotary phase converter) out of scrap parts. There is a lot of information available on this in this section - http://www.hobby-machinist.com/foru...ERS-VFDS-POWERING-YOUR-MACHINES-amp-SHOP-HERE

I include this because used machines that are 3-phase can be picked up fairly "cheap" and the motors are cheaper to rebuild than their comparable single-phase counterparts.

-Ron

I might add that you don't necessarily have to limit yourself to single-phase motors as you can get a VFD (variable frequency drive) for a reasonable price or build your own RPC

I include this because used machines that are 3-phase can be picked up fairly "cheap" and the motors are cheaper to rebuild than their comparable single-phase counterparts.

I agree. I would suggest that you limit 3-phase machines at 230V. At the higher voltages - 460V for example - it' gets much harder and more expensive to get that out of 110V or 220V 1-phase. I am working through that now with a Millrite I bought last month. The 460V motor is now on CL and I am adapting a 1 HP single phase 110V motor.

most 460-480 Motors can be wired for 230-240. Thay are made to run on eather.

You may want to look at it if possible. It's tough to see condition from pics. Look for loose gibs, worn ways, things that are obviously broken and obviously power it up if possible. If it's seen light use as described, you should still be able to see the scraping marks on the ways.

Tom

What do you think of this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251149360415#ht_500wt_1156nts

its right around the corner from me

Thanks Gents

Per the pictures that appears to be a decent machine, however pictures can be deceiving. You mention it being nearby, I'd call on it and go view it. The fact that it is nearby is of some value and if they can assist with loading and possibly delivering then there is even more value. I did not read the entire ad closely, but is there any tooling to come with and do the electrical requirements fit your plans?

Good Luck

Toolmasters are very good mills, much better than a Bridgeport.
If it's not worn out and you can get it anywhere close to the $1500 it's at now, it should be a good deal.

Looks like a nice machine, but I'd be wary of the fact that they photoshopped the background out. Toolmasters are highly regarded, but be sure you have the space and ability to move such a machine. It will be 2k lbs, probably more....the best thing to do is hire a rollback towtruck.....which you will also need to budget for. The fact that it comes with collets and a vise is a big plus, probably $300+ in value on the used market. If the mill runs through all speeds without excessive noise/vibration and the power feeds work, you're doing well. Check the ways for signs of wear and try to work everything on the machine. If those things are all good, it's a decent deal. If not, you could probably get him down to $1200 or lower.

Another thing to consider is that machine probably has a 40 taper in the spindle, not R-8 like the Bridgeports. That means tooling is going to be much more expensive. Better price it out before springing for the machine.

Tom

Back