Mounting base on a plinth

Pauldarby1

Active User
Registered
I am considering mounting my #12 milling machine on an 8" plinth to give a better working height. I shall mainly be using it in the vertical position. Do you feel this would beneficial? I'm 6' tall.

Paul

Anything to make it comfortable to work with. I think it would be more critical if you had a long lathe, to keep it solid to the ground on metal feet.

Bernie

Depends on what you plan on making it out of. Remember lathe tip over easy as many of the newer have sheet metal bases and the top is heavier then the base. Have a picture of your machine and a plan for the base you can share? Rich

Richard, a lathe is not in question here, although you are correct when considering a bench lathe mounted on a sheet metal stand. We're talking about a VN #12. A riser should be no problem at a reasonable height.

I don't know the height of the Van Norman #12 from floor to table but I would think that 8 inches would be plenty. Are you going to pour this from concrete of by fabricated solid block?

"Billy G"

Richard, a lathe is not in question here, although you are correct when considering a bench lathe mounted on a sheet metal stand. We're talking about a VN #12. A riser should be no problem at a reasonable height.

Must have had a senior moment here....I had just sent a VN 12 manual to another guy, so I know what they are...:whacky:

A Riser Block will raise the head. A Plinth will raise the whole machine. If I read it right he wants to bring the Table up to a more user friendly level. For those who don't know, a Plinth is a slab on the floor that something is mounted on.

"Billy G"

My Victoria U2 came mounted on a couple of pieces of 6" I-beam. I was debating leaving them off, but it became evident that the vertical head was easier to use with the mill raised. 8" sounds about right.

I didn't say riser block, just riser. Can be made of any material, and no I didn't mean just the head. Most people reference the table height when addressing the machine working level being too low. Being tall myself, I can sympathize.

The machine is to replace an M1 Tom Senior mill. I had already made a plinth out of concrete blocks for that machine. Fortunately I made it a lot wider than it was needed and the base of the VN#12 just fits on it.
Paul

Back