MUTOH DRAFTING MACHINE HEAD PART DRAWINGS/MECHANISM PHOTOS

pitton

Registered
Registered
Dear All,

I am asking if anybody can help me in finding the spares or drawings of the Mutoh drafting head parts, since I am missing one lever of the inner head mechanism, which locks the rulers in definite angle position (90°-30°-45°, etc) it seems there should be a "L" shape lever acted by the side button on the handle of the drafting head, which engages with the teethed wheel located inside the head mechanism - this "L" shaped lever is missing in my Mutoh drafting machine.

I contacted Mutoh and local european dealers, but both answered to me that Mutoh is no more in the drafting machine business, so they cannot help..

I would really appreciate if anybody has a Mutoh drafting machine and perhaps could send to me on the forum a picture of the inner mechanism of the drafting head, so that at least I can figure how this lever is shaped and how it is mounted, so that with "reverse engineering" process I can make one spare lever, which should not be so difficult.

Thanks for help.

Mauro

I just drug mine out of storage the other day. It is out in the shop but I will take some pictures tomorrow to see if they help any.

I have a couple of drafting machines (I don't know the manufactures), what does yours look like?

4 years of drafting in high school, I really miss a lead holder and velum!

Dear Long Roof and MikeInOr,

Many thanks for your availability, here some more details and pictures of the head of my Mutoh drafting machine.
The angle locking lever moves horizontally the small horizontal blade, which slides in the aluminum guide (the one with four screws in the picture). The detail of the blade is shown in the photo "the missing part should connect the small pin......" . As you see, there should be "something" connecting the small pin in the bottom of the horizontal blade to engage the black gear wheel , which fix the angle rulers in pre-defined angles position.

I do hope this should clarify a bit my problem : i am missing the part (lever? other?) which connects the small pin under the blade to the black gear wheel, If you have a dimensional drawing or a picture of the mechanism, maybe I could manufacture the missing part and have the head again in full operation.

Thanks again for any help you could provide,

Mauro

Attachments

• BACK OF THE HEAD - COVER REMOVED ORIZONTAL PLATE IS MOVED BY ANGLE LOCKING LEVER.jpg
    BACK OF THE HEAD - COVER REMOVED ORIZONTAL PLATE IS MOVED BY ANGLE LOCKING LEVER.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 5
  • BACK OF THE HEAD WITH COVER.JPG
    BACK OF THE HEAD WITH COVER.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 6
  • DETAIL OF THE ANGLE LOCKING LEVER.jpg
    DETAIL OF THE ANGLE LOCKING LEVER.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 6
  • THE MISSING PART SHOULD CONNECT THE SMALL PIN OF THE HORIZONTAL PLATE TO THE BLACK TETHERED WH...jpg
    THE MISSING PART SHOULD CONNECT THE SMALL PIN OF THE HORIZONTAL PLATE TO THE BLACK TETHERED WH...jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 5
  • TOP VIEW OF THE HEAD.jpg
    TOP VIEW OF THE HEAD.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 5
I was going to suggest going to eBay to search for parts. When I got there, I couldn't believe the prices people were asking. Incomplete machines had asking prices from $395.00 to $875.00. It wasn't that long ago people were all but giving them away.

I got a 72" board, Vemco drafting machine, light, desk return, and all the drafting supplies I'll ever need for $50.00 from the company I worked for. I gave up on AUTO CAD after I got a notice that there would be an annual fee of $1,000.00 for maintenance and upgrades.

The company was giving them to the local technical college until about 2000. After that the college didn't want them since they had switched to CAD. We had a warehouse with close to 100 machines, boards, supplies, and returns waiting for new homes. Around 2005 they decided there weren't going to be any takers so they called in the scrappers.

Attachments

• DSCF8060.JPG
    DSCF8060.JPG
    389.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Mine is a Model H and the back cover is a little different than yours. Here are some pics that I hope will help.

Attachments

• 20231116_081157 (Large).jpg
    20231116_081157 (Large).jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231116_083825 (Large).jpg
    20231116_083825 (Large).jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231116_083445 (Large).jpg
    20231116_083445 (Large).jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231116_080715 (Large).jpg
    20231116_080715 (Large).jpg
    236 KB · Views: 4
Hi Projectnut,

The Mutoh drafting machine in your picture is exactly the same I have !!

I dare to ask you if you could open the head and send a photo of the inner mechanism, which connects the side button to the inner gear wheel. This would give to me the possibility to make the missing part.

I do not want to put you in troubles, the disassembly of the head is quite easy, if you can this would be great, if not, I however really appreciate your post.
I wonder if you have any address or contact where I can ask for the missing spare part.

Thanks again,

Mauro

Hi again, dear Proect nut;

I saw right now the pictures you attached to your message. Unfortunately the mechanism of my drafting head is quite different, as you can see in my post, even though some parts (the acting blade, for instance) are very similar.

However, I shall study carefully your pictures, Maybe I can deduct some useful hints...

Thanks for your kindness,

Mauro

Hi Projectnut,

The Mutoh drafting machine in your picture is exactly the same I have !!

I dare to ask you if you could open the head and send a photo of the inner mechanism, which connects the side button to the inner gear wheel. This would give to me the possibility to make the missing part.

I do not want to put you in troubles, the disassembly of the head is quite easy, if you can this would be great, if not, I however really appreciate your post.
I wonder if you have any address or contact where I can ask for the missing spare part.

Thanks again,

Mauro
Unfortunately we’ll be heading off to Mayo Clinic in a couple hours for a little repair work. I should be back Saturday. I can take apart my machine when we get back and take some pictures if it will help.

As for parts availability the company I worked for closed their operations here back in 2016. At that time they auctioned off all the equipment and furnishings. It’s now just another abandoned industrial building.

Dear Projectnut,

I wish you all the best for your "repair work" and a prompt recovery.

Many thanks and Take care,

Mauro

Back