My back

snoopdog

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Well, as you know my sweet and lovely had major back surgery back in the fall, and she continues to do very well. I fell at work about 2 weeks before, went to pick up a load at the galvanizing plant, and set my heavy oak timbers out on the trailer. The forklift guy brought my stuff out on pallets, so I went to take up the timbers and my feet got tangled in some tie wire in the yard and down I went backwards with the dunnage in my hands. Well, I've jumped through the workman's comp hoops ever since, no pain medication, and finally got an mri and consultation with a REAL Dr., 4 bulged disc's. Had to beg for something for the pain this week, scheduled for a spinal shot at the end of February. I'm not a whiner, but I don't know how they can keep returning me to work, albeit with a 20lb restriction, and just eat ibuprofen, I've probably ate 500 of them since October. I'm going to have to sell the cows, and just got this herd where I wanted it, after 5 years. The dozer has to go, I don't even dare climb on it, and probably all the rest of the farm stuff. Dammit. Not looking for sympathy, just needed to vent, thanks. Charlie

Talk to your doc first, but I get a lot of relief for my bulged discs from an inversion table. Essentially, you’re putting your back in traction with an inversion table.
Brother in law has had good experience with this.

When I was younger, I had severe back problems. It would usually go o9ut when I had done something stupid and the pain was so bad that it was impossible to find any relief; actually paralyzing. I ended up with a chiropractor who diagnosed thinned disk due to scoliosis. After a few treatments and a lift in one boot to correct a pelvic tilt, the pain subsided and I haven't had a severe bout in the past thirty years.

I don't believe in chiropracty as a preventive treatment but my thought was if pain arises because something has slipped out of position, putting it back in position should be the proper treatment. I have issues with sciatica but those have lessened as well. I can't lift like I use to and when I overdo things, my back let's me know I screwed up but hey, I just shoveled the snow off my 5,000 sq. ft. driveway an hour ago with only minor aches and pains.

The point is that the human body has amazing recuperative ability and the situation can improve with time. BTW, take it easy on the ibuprofen. I was taking 600 mg/day for two years and I believe that it brought about some undesirable side effects. Good luck with your recovery!

@snoopdog First, sorry for your back issues, it is no fun. Second, I would not sell anything at the moment unless you are financially strapped, and need to put food on the table. I am in my late 50's now and have had three low back surgeries, all of them discectomies and laminectomies so I have a little experience with what you are going through.
In many cases, the pain will subside as the discs eventually ease back into their respective spots. That will only happen, though if they are bulged and not herniated. If they are herniated that is a different story.
I would push harder on getting some cortisone shots if at all possible or even some pain meds, but pain meds are extremely hard to get these days with all the frenzy surrounding opioid addiction. I would NOT recommend that you eat ibuprofen the way you have been. I made that mistake and am now paying the price with IBS-D, a debilitating disease in its own right.
I would stay away from the chiropractor. Although I have used them extensively throughout my life, in your case, you have bulged discs. There is nothing a chiropractor can do except to make it worse.
@great white's suggestion of an inversion table is excellent, coupled with rest, taking it easy, and NO BENDING over to pick something up.

I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted.

Prolonged use of Ibuprofen/Motrin/NSAIDs can eventually lead to kidney failure that is irreversible. By the time people realize it, it is too late. In addition to the gastrointestinal irritation and bleeding issues. Some people can do OK chewing the stuff for months, others not so. Narcotics have their own issues, you might see if you can get a prescription for Tramadol/Ultram which is often used for mild to moderate pain, it works on the opiate receptors but it structurally is not related to opiate narcotics. It is usually a slow process to get better, typically physical therapy for months is recommended. Surgical intervention as a last resort, as there can often be some long term issues that the surgeons do not inform patients about. The key over time is doing exercises to keep your back strong, and moderation on lifting. Get some young ones to do the heavy work.

When I was younger, I had severe back problems. It would usually go o9ut when I had done something stupid and the pain was so bad that it was impossible to find any relief; actually paralyzing. I ended up with a chiropractor who diagnosed thinned disk due to scoliosis. After a few treatments and a lift in one boot to correct a pelvic tilt, the pain subsided and I haven't had a severe bout in the past thirty years.

I don't believe in chiropracty as a preventive treatment but my thought was if pain arises because something has slipped out of position, putting it back in position should be the proper treatment. I have issues with sciatica but those have lessened as well. I can't lift like I use to and when I overdo things, my back let's me know I screwed up but hey, I just shoveled the snow off my 5,000 sq. ft. driveway an hour ago with only minor aches and pains.

The point is that the human body has amazing recuperative ability and the situation can improve with time. BTW, take it easy on the ibuprofen. I was taking 600 mg/day for two years and I believe that it brought about some undesirable side effects. Good luck with your recovery!
Thank you

Prolonged use of Ibuprofen/Motrin/NSAIDs can eventually lead to kidney failure that is irreversible. By the time people realize it, it is too late. In addition to the gastrointestinal irritation and bleeding issues. Some people can do OK chewing the stuff for months, others not so. Narcotics have their own issues, you might see if you can get a prescription for Tramadol/Ultram which is often used for mild to moderate pain, it works on the opiate receptors but it structurally is not related to opiate narcotics. It is usually a slow process to get better, typically physical therapy for months is recommended. Surgical intervention as a last resort, as there can often be some long term issues that the surgeons do not inform patients about. The key over time is doing exercises to keep your back strong, and moderation on lifting. Get some young ones to do the heavy work.
I can't take tramadol, but thanks for the reply, points taken.

Back