My back

Hi Charlie,

I hate to hear what you're going through.
Sorry I have so little help to offer.

Many great ideas above; inversion, brace, rest, physiotherapy, and once able, regular exercise.
My doctor recommended exercise to build the back _and_ stomach muscles, and suggested swimming as a low-stress way to do that.

For me the other bigger issue is re-training the "control room".
It sounds like you are also someone that works flat-out every day.
I am definitely guilty of trying to do too much, too fast...
My problem is still not realizing that I'm not 25 anymore.

I/we need to use the brain more than the back, and remember that "this job" is not worth injuring the body.
If it gets done 10 minutes (or a half-hour or a half-day.....) later without injury then that is the cost.

Sure we all want to "earn our pay", but I often need to remind myself that now I bring experience to the position too.
It's not all about brawn and speed.
I can still outwork the younger guys by slowing down a bit and applying what I have learned.

It is obvious that you have rolled with the punches before, so no doubt you will be okay.
I hope you can get thru this painful period without making huge changes to your plans.

Vent all you need/want.
It's obvious there is nothing but support, good wishes and respect here.

Please let us know how you're doing.

Brian

Before retiring I was a building contractor. Framing houses and man handling materials took it's toll eventually. I've had multiple back surgeries and I'm OK now but the only non drug non surgical remedy that helped me was the inversion table. Be advised that the stretch you get is temporary at first but after a few weeks the effects start to last longer and longer until they're virtually permanent. Don't sell a table short after a few rides. Meaningful improvement usually takes three weeks or more.

Something else that helps me is a tens machine. Thats another “talk to your doctor first”, but well worth it in my case.

The other thing I do, but probably won’t help you much, is I essentially “ignore” the pain. It’s taken years to develop the ability, but it works. I use my mind to “shut the pain off”. I still feel the back pain, sciatica, etc but I just refuse to let it take focus. It gets pushed to the back of my mind, like an annoyance but not a problem. I had to develop this ability to get off the endless stream of pain killers. What I do pay attention to is any “change” in the pain and then decide if this “new” pain is something worth adrrssing or if the new, higher pain level is now the “floor” and to be ignored, mentally.

Once you’re over the initial “hump”, request your doctor prescribe physio, focusing on core strength. Building up core strength won’t make the bulges go away, but it will help to stabilize the area and give you further relief.

Last edited:
Hi Charlie,

I hate to hear what you're going through.
Sorry I have so little help to offer.

Many great ideas above; inversion, brace, rest, physiotherapy, and once able, regular exercise.
My doctor recommended exercise to build the back _and_ stomach muscles, and suggested swimming as a low-stress way to do that.

I/we need to use the brain more than the back, and remember that "this job" is not worth injuring the body.
If it gets done 10 minutes (or a half-hour or a half-day.....) later without injury then that is the cost.

Sure we all want to "earn our pay", but I often need to remind myself that now I bring experience to the position too.
It's not all about brawn and speed.
I can still outwork the younger guys by slowing down a bit and applying what I have learned.

It is obvious that you have rolled with the punches before, so no doubt you will be okay.
I hope you can get thru this painful period without making huge changes to your plans.

Vent all you need/want.
It's obvious there is nothing but support, good wishes and respect here.

Please let us know how you're doing.

Brian
I second the swimming. It helps to keep the back in alignment and cools (therefore reduces swelling).

Snoopdog,
Man, that’s a tough nut. Really sorry to hear about your back injury.
I feel your pain. Have bulging, herniated discs with severe stenosis.
Not ready fir surgery yet. I do yoga and walk 2-3 miles a day.
When it flairs up, as it does quite often, I ice it and my doc does give me the industrial strength meds as needed.

I hope you are on the mend soon man.

Brian
This ^^^ is so true! Twenty five years worshipping on the "TIME IS MONEY" altar gave me habits that were hard to break when I became an old geezer. Despite the fact that 9 out of 10 of my guys were younger than me I would often do something myself rather than take the time to explain it to the guy who should be doing it. This is why one shoulder, both knees and half of my back were made in a factory.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the support, I really do appreciate it, so many positive comments from so many that have been or are in basically the same situation. All your responses have been uplifting, and I guess that is why this is one of my favorite sites. It's been hard tho, not being the rock.

Just an update, had the shots a week ago, horrible the day after. Saw some relief, slight, the last couple of days. Cows are going to market in 2 weeks, I just can't .We're selling at a good replacement cow sale, and the guy that's doing the promoting recognizes the hard work, so we're hopeful.

Back